Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #1 
Kiku

Worried! I thought it was tail biting...

Kuro's been getting worse lately. Originally, I thought he simply had a case of tail biting, because it looked like clean chunks of his tails were bitten off and he seemed perfectly fine otherwise. Lately he's been keeping towards the bottom of his tank, eating only one pellet of food per day, and staying by the heater. He doesn't seem to like breathing much, and it's worrying me. I'm not sure what it is, it doesn't appear to be fin rot (but it could be). I added two teaspoons of aquarium salt after doing a 75% water change once he started acting ill, but he seems to be even worse now.

Tank size: 10 gallons
Temperature: 77 degrees F
Water additives: Seachem water conditioner, stress zyme, and two teaspoons aquarium salt
Filter: No (it was giving me trouble so I went without it)
Water changes: I perform 50% water changes every four days
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #2 
Kiku

*shameless self-bump* Please, I'm really frightened...my last betta presented similar symptoms before dying and I'm wondering if I have an epidemic on my hands...
Old 01-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #3 
baylee767

Move him to a smaller tank so you can do 100% water changes, then do 1 tsp/gallon of aquarium/espom (Eh... someone expirienced... which one?) with daily 100% water changes. Then take pics. I'm not sure what it is, but the salt and temporary smaller tank (1-2.5 gallons is good because it's easy to clean) tends to work for a lot of things. Someone expirienced know anything?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #4 
kfish

If you don't have a filter, your tank can't cycle and so ammonia is constantly building up in it without any 100% water changes. Have you tested your water? That may be part of the problem, depending how long it's been since a 100% change.

Like baylee said, you should move him to a smaller quarantine container and do frequent 100% changes. This will eliminate the possibility that it could be water quality. As for salts, I'm not sure, either... I've heard that aquarium salt is better for wounds and infections, while Epsom salt is better for bloating and stress relief. I'm not sure which problem this would qualify as!

The normal dosage for salts is 1 tsp/gallon. Make sure you don't add it for more than 10 days.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #5 
Kiku

Yes, I had a filter. It was giving me too much trouble so I removed it. My tank was also cycled. I've put him in a small 1 gallon bowl for now, but unfortunately because the heater for it is so small I can't raise the temperature past 76 degrees
Old 01-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #6 
HarleyRigid

Highly suggest talking to OldFishLady. She is the guru for making your betta better
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #7 
Kiku

He's clamping up and his little front fins (I see them as betta "hands") are all curled up and terrible looking. It's leading me to think this might actually be fin rot. I'm nervous he may not survive the night, he looks awful...
Old 01-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #8 
kfish

Clean water and aquarium salt (1tsp/gallon)! Change the water everyday on that 1 gallon tank. Make sure you acclimate him slowly to reduce stress.

You may also want to PM OldFishLady.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote