Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #11 
vaygirl

I had a 6 gallon Eclipse set up for an Aquabid guy I got. He died within 48 hours of showing paleness, lethargy, and stress stripes. I cleaned out the tank, rinsed the gravel and dried it in the sun along with the decor. I used the same plants though (doh!). I got another fish from Petco put him in the tank and within a week he died from the same symptoms within 48 hours of showing them. I lost a school of guppies in my 16 gallon around the same time, the same way. The corys that lived with them were fine. I scrapped the 6 gallon tank and started over with a new Hawkeye tank and scrapped every piece of equipment I had, including the heater. Wraith is still fine in his Hawkeye.

To this day I don't know what happened. I remember we were having a death 'wave' here the same time. People were reporting suddenly dead fish left and right. It left me wondering if there isn't something that periodically moves through either our water or fish stock or both. Something that kills that quickly. Like a bacteria or something similar and maybe only new stressed fish or older weak fish succumb to it. If we could track these death waves maybe it would make some sense. I wish I were a biologist!

Anyway, I hope your guy has nice last days. I think you're doing everything you can. Just keep him quiet and warm. I know how helpless it feels. :(
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #12 
bettafish15

Spring water has no good minerals, so dont bother with it :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #13 
Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiku View Post
My betta is going to die, I can tell the poor thing won't last the night. His illness presented itself the same way my previous betta's did...acting slightly lethargic for one day with no real issues, sudden fin rot (over the course of one day), and then "vibrations" (his whole body appears to be vibrating somehow) as well as sudden paleness. Water changes and aquarium salt either did nothing or made him worse, it's hard to tell. I've moved him from his 10 gallon tank to a one gallon bowl to make him more comfortable, and add a little bit of aquarium salt for luck. I can tell the poor baby won't be alive when I wake up. What on EARTH is this? It's so fast-acting I simply never know what to use....
And is there any other way I can make his last night more comfortable?
Really sorry to hear this Here if you need to talk....I am fairly new to this site and the Betta World, but seriously know how it feels to lose a pet.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #14 
Kiku

Well, I woke up and kuro is looking a little better....not that it's saying much. But I am ENORMOUSLY relieved, because maybe I can save his life...
I had my water tested at petco and they said it's all normal. But I think it might have something to do with the decor, it just must be...I'm nervous because I can't really afford to go out and buy all new things ;_; I can't even afford decent at-home water testing.
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #15 
Wildcat

Maybe some the more experienced can help us both, or we may help each other in some way. My Wildcat got really lethargic and stopped eating. I put him in the brand new tank last Monday and he started getting less and less interested in eating and swimming around
So...I have talked to several here, and did a 25% water change yesterday morning and put Aquarium Salt in. Well, last night he sontinued to lay on the bottom and not eating. So...the heater I had did not have a thermostat in it, so after reading until 2AM and worrying and watching him half the night, I waited outside until Feeders opened up this morn to get a new heater. (Thinking 74 degrees was just not warm enough) So, I put the new heater in and let it heat up slowly with him in there, (Didn't want to stress him anymore)
And I added some BettaFix. Now, the water temp is 79 and he is starting to move around a lot more, and looking a bit better. We will see what the eve brings.
Good Luck to you too!
Wildcat's Mommy
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #16 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Maybe some the more experienced can help us both, or we may help each other in some way. My Wildcat got really lethargic and stopped eating. I put him in the brand new tank last Monday and he started getting less and less interested in eating and swimming around
So...I have talked to several here, and did a 25% water change yesterday morning and put Aquarium Salt in. Well, last night he sontinued to lay on the bottom and not eating. So...the heater I had did not have a thermostat in it, so after reading until 2AM and worrying and watching him half the night, I waited outside until Feeders opened up this morn to get a new heater. (Thinking 74 degrees was just not warm enough) So, I put the new heater in and let it heat up slowly with him in there, (Didn't want to stress him anymore)
And I added some BettaFix. Now, the water temp is 79 and he is starting to move around a lot more, and looking a bit better. We will see what the eve brings.
Good Luck to you too!
Wildcat's Mommy
Goodluck, my betta was showing these signs on thursday and friday and has since passed away (when i woke up this morning he was dead)
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #17 
Wildcat

So sorry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
Goodluck, my betta was showing these signs on thursday and friday and has since passed away (when i woke up this morning he was dead)
So very sorry to hear this.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #18 
kfish

I'm starting to wonder if your mysterious fish deaths and illnesses have anything to do with the ones happening in water sources around the world...
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #19 
kfish

Maybe higher amounts of fertilizers, chemicals, pollutants, etc. have leeched into water supplies, and only certain treatment plants are taking those chemicals out? Hmmm...
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #20 
BettaHeart

sorry to hear

i have heard that over 90% of all "safe" "drinkable" water isnt really that safe anymore with nearly half the planet consuming birth control pills and many other chemicals leeching out into the water but you will never really find a straight answer if you do go around asking. anyways..

I really hope your fishy gets better soon
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote