Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #1 
Rolling21

Red Sea Deco Art Filter Problems

Hi all, today my Red Sea Deco Art Filter arrived from the U.S. After reading many great reviews, I just expected to plug it in and away we go. But instead I have problems.

1. It's awfully loud and vibrated extremely.

2. The motor gets so hard the ink label on it starts to smear. I'm scared to leave it on.

3. The motor stutters badly.

Was I just expecting too much and this is semi-normal? Or do I have problems here?

Cheers
Rolling21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #2 
scootshoot

Sounds like you got a defective one. Was the packing damaged in anyway? Mine is as quiet as a mouse.

I would send it back for another...
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #3 
Rolling21

It does sound that way...

I do have one suspicion though, I live in Australia, so the power is different. I'm using a 240-250v travel adapter for it. But surely it would either work, or not work and not do this.

The box for the filter says 230-240v and 115v, so that should be find. But then the motor on the unit just says AC115v

Last edited by Rolling21; 10-18-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #4 
Moldau

I have one of these too. At first I thought it was really loud, but I guess I got used to it because I hardly notice it now. If it's extremely loud, though, it probably is defective. The stuttering definitely doesn't sound like a good sign. I have read other people's comments that the lid rattles if it's not set on there a certain way. Other things I've read that cause a filter to be loud are trapped air bubbles, an impeller that needs to be cleaned, or a bent impeller.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #5 
Rolling21

I think it is a conversion problem. I have bought a auto-transformer which will be coming in tomorrow. Hopefully I haven't burnt out the motor while using it on the wrong voltage though
Old 01-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #6 
HarleyRigid

Hope it works out for you but if its not your voltage that is the problem I would start checking user servicable parts... like the impeller shaft etc. Anything that could have been bent or twisted. Its a long trip over from the US and some transport workers dont care about your stuff. Your filter could have been used as the ball for a game of postal soccer for all you know.
Hope you get it sorted and hope there was no damage done using different voltages
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #7 
Arzela

Did you fill the filter with water before you started it up? I completely forgot to do so with my own deco filter and it made horribly loud noises.
Arzela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #8 
Scienceluvr8

You may have done this, but are you sure you primed it? Unless you add water to it, it will continue to make this loud noises because it won't take in water from the intake until water is added. I hope this helps. As for the filters, don't be discouraged by this. It may just be defective, but trust me, they are excellent filters and I have one in each of my tanks! I absolutely love them!
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #9 
scootshoot

This ^^

The intake tube needs to be completely filled with water. No air bubbles, otherwise it's gonna make noise.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote