Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #541 
Canuck Fins

My question got lost, I think, in the posting frenzy since so I'm going to toss it out again. I hope no one minds.

My cycle wasn't moving because the pH was too high. I need to start over trying to get the tank to cycle. Do I need to rinse everything and start fresh or can I just do a partial water change to bring the pH down?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #542 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
My question got lost, I think, in the posting frenzy since so I'm going to toss it out again. I hope no one minds.

My cycle wasn't moving because the pH was too high. I need to start over trying to get the tank to cycle. Do I need to rinse everything and start fresh or can I just do a partial water change to bring the pH down?
I am not sure but I heard that driftwood helps lower pH levels. Might want to look into that more. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #543 
Canuck Fins

My tank currently has no fish so it's not a big deal to change it. I added water from the wrong tap in my house, not realizing it was higher pH, but I can add new water that is a more favourable pH.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #544 
JKfish

that'll be fine :) once it's cycled, and you've added fish, just make sure to only use the water they're acclimated to.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #545 
bahamut285

Another quick question, since mine got lost in another thread that I hijacked XD

I was curious as to how to care for a marimo moss ball. Do I just chuck it in the tank? How much light does it need? I've tried looking online for some resources but there isn't much...

I also want to know what kind (and how many) tank mates I could have with my betta in a 5gal. I've got SOME hiding spots (i.e. a medium-ish cave, a plant, getting new plants soon). I was thinking of a shrimp or something XD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #546 
cesitlie95

Hey I was just wondering.. why do Bettas flare at cameras? And it's normal for them to do that, right?
cesitlie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #547 
Jayy

Ok, this has nothing to do with bettas, but it is fish related. Can adding cycled gravel to a uncycled tank help with cycling?
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #548 
JKfish

bahamut: in a 5 gallon, your only reasonable options would be shrimps or snails. It's too small for actual fish. Just squeeze your marimo ball in some old tank water to get any gross stuff out, and stick it in. it'll be alright in low light :)

cesitlie: I'm not really sure O_o.... my bettas typically ignored it or swam away, so I guess it varies from fish to fish.

Jay, yep, gravel from a cycled tank will have benificial bacteria on it, so it'll work to help seed your tank and hopefully speed up your cycle.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #549 
Jayy

Thanks!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #550 
bahamut285

@Cesitlie: HongBo flares at my camera, but then again, my lens is bigger than he is, so he's probably seeing his reflection in it, XD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote