betta fish
View Poll Results: What Do You Think?
Yes! 0 0%
No! 23 82.14%
I Don't Know, I just Like Voting! x3 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #11 
Ethan

its from animal planets book I think its true because they tell reliable info btw there was another post about saying betta the right way from the book
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
If you take the time to think logically about it you'll see that that is a load of crap.

Wild splendens (since I assume your book was not talking about other species) are bubblenesters. They have to have a secluded, safe spot to build their nest that will be safe from potential preditiors. They'll make their nests among the rice paddies where the nests are unlikely to be seen from above.

When the fry hatch they'll need to swim around to look for food... there will be little to no food in a hoofprint. Also in a hoof print they'd be very vunerable to predation. Just as domestically raised betta fry hid in the plants provided, wild fry will hide among the plants and leaves in their habitats.

Once upon a time I heard that bettas have been found in oxen hoof prints because they used the prints to jump from one paddy to another. THAT would make sense, especially considering what prolific jumpers wild betta are. They have to jump out of the water to catch insects yes, but jumping their way to a different habitat makes sense as well. That's how species spread.

Edit to add...

It's also possible that mouth brooding species have been found in hoof prints (while moving to a different location) and have released fry in those prints and that is how the rumor got started. That's just one of my theories... I've never heard/read of that being the case.
Ditto ^
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #13 
bloo97

Glad to see you agree. :P

I didn't thibk it was possible, because a male betta can't get there in the first place! lol
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

He can get there but he'll have to leave eventually.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #15 
HarleyRigid

Dont think a hoof print could sustain 'a' fish let alone a family of fish. Ammonia builds in our tanks pretty quickly so I would have to say that it would build in a hoof print much too soon for betta to spawn in there. I agree with 1fish2fish that it is possible that a mouth brooder may have been found with a spawn 'travelling' or making a stop over in a hoof print but I just dont think that such a small amount of water could sustain life for too long.
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #16 
baylee767

1fish: Wow! Sorry just have to say that was a great post...

I agree. How would this even be possible? The fish would die in a few days, so would the fry, and Bettas don't walk on land Lol. They either flop till they hit water or dry out /=

Any fry would soon die from the ammonia present and/or lack of food and/or lack of protection.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #17 
MrVampire181

Then again......It rains there.....alot. It is possible that they could spawn and then the hoof print would flood over releasing the fry into another area of water.....possible, unlikely, but possible.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #18 
PewPewPew

^ Thats true...Hmn.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #19 
1fish2fish

Still very unlikely. The pair would feel too exposed in such a location. Anyone who has ever seen wilds in real life (either captive bred or wild caught) they are (generally) VERY timid.

Some of the members of my group breed wilds and I had a hard time even finding them in 5 gallon planted tanks when we had meetings.

Spike (my smaragdina) is hardly ever out in the open unless he thinks I might give him a pellet for being cute while I do the dishes or something.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote