Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #1 
boro

Tankmates for a 10 gallon

I just picked up a new Betta and a 10 gallon tank yesterday, got it setup with plants (fake) and other decor, a heater and a filtration system, he pretty much have everything he needs...

But that's an awful lot of tank for such a little fish lol, so I was thinking about getting him some tankmates.

I've been reading that some cory cats are probably the most sure peaceful tankmate to get for a betta, to get about 5 or 6 of them, and that they also clean up the tank a bit too which is nice. I'll need to pick up a cave or two for them to hide in also.

Should I wait until the tank is cycled before getting the cories or should I get them now while my betta is still new to this tank and would maybe be less territorial about it? Also would a snail or two be a good idea? I know that the cory cats need algae wafers, but do the snails need anything? Thanks!
boro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #2 
boro

I went back to Petco today to pick up an API test kit (great investment by the way) and asked their opinion. They said 6 cory cats and a couple of snails would be great companions for my Betta, but to wait until after the tank had cycled, then take the betta out, move junk around in the tank and add everyone in.

I also picked up a live plant to add in cycling and general water quality.

Also, my ammonia is somewhere in between 0 and 0.25 ppm right now. Things are looking good, it's a start!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #3 
baylee767

That's some pretty good advice! But it depends on the species of cories. If it's albino or juli or peppered I'd add 3-4 and maybe a mystery snail. If it's pygmys (I'll be adding these to my 10 gallon (=) I'd do 5-6. And a mystery snail.

Are you doing a fish in cycle? If so, you don't want the ammonia to get too high. If it reaches .5 I'd do a (Partial!) water change. Also, you don't need to rearange the tank when you add cories with a Betta as I doubt the Betta will eat the cories Or, on a more serious note, even be able to catch up with them. Cories are speedy little guys 0.0
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #4 
boro

Ah, that's good news! I really like how my tank is right now and I don't want to rearrange it lol. I am going to add another plant or two and a cave for my cories to hide in though.

But yes, I am doing a cycle with the fish, on Petco advice. They said exactly the same thing, at 0.5 or about once a week it's time to do a 50% water change.

Do you know how many Panda cories I could add? Petco has both those and Albino cories.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #5 
jessiepbg

I believe Pandas are pygmies, so the 5-6 in a 10 is about right. They do seem to be a little more sensitive though, so keep that in mind. I personally have fallen for peppers because they are active and attractive. I've been told pandas are less active, but the ones I had were pretty high energy. It never seemed like a happy active, more nervous than anything. I had a lady recommend albinos because they are both hardy and active, but I've never had one, so I just have to take her word for it.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #6 
shinybetta

You could get some hatchetfish. They are very interesting fish!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #7 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
You could get some hatchetfish. They are very interesting fish!
not the one I googled lol
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #8 
shinybetta

Yeah, not the deepwater hatchetfish.... I beleive you could do a pitbull pleco if you like those. Kuhli loaches are also a great addition.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #9 
zpeck30

id say a a combo of some of the fallowing..and i dont mean all of them..

2 to 4 ottos
2to 4 cories
about 5 zebra danios
and kind of loach not too many unless you get a black kuhli loach they stay small
mystery snails
neons
platties
zpeck30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #10 
coolcucumber

I would suggest 7-8 neon tetras. they look really nice when they school, and are excellent tankmates :)
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote