Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #1 
RCinAL

Unhappy started another sorority

I don't know how this is going to play out, but I have my doubts if any will survive. After a fatal end to my last 2-fish sorority after about a week, I have taken everyone's advice and tried again with 5 females. This isn't exactly a sorority tank. It is a community tank in which there are now 5 female bettas along with several other small, docile species. I introduced all 5 at the same time too, like everyone said.

These 5 fish hate each other's guts. There is definitely some fighting going on despite the fact there is plenty of room in this 4 foot, well planted (silk plants) and decorated tank for everyone to have space and avoid each other. Instead, they are seeking each other out and going at it. At one time there were 2 fights going on at the same time - one at each end of the tank. Only 1 of the 5 fish will beat a retreat if challenged. The other 4 seem intent on killing everyone else or dieing in the process.
RCinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

I would remove all of them from the tank, if I were you. It's not fair to the fish to live in such stressful conditions.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Are you sure you didnt mistake females for males? Some petstores label them wrong...
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #4 
RCinAL

Yes, these are definitely females. They just act like males - same as the last 2. I want to keep some of these fish badly, but I swear, I don't see how anyone keeps 2 (or even 20) together at all. I am off work and will keep an eye on them till bed time and get them out then if things haven't settled down. From everything I have read, they will establish a pecking order and all get along fine. Who knows.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #5 
RCinAL

BTW... I just noticed one of these fish has a light colored "patch" on her side. Upon closer inspection it appears to be raised. Could this be some sort of contagious fungus?

Betta experts, what should I do about this? The fish appears to be healthy and acts normal (that is if kicking everyone's hiney is normal). I sure don't want a contagious disease in the tank though. I do have a filtered 5 gallon tank I could treat it in if anyone thinks I should and can tell me what this might be. I could also return it as I just bought them earlier today.

Actually, the fighting is becoming more sudued and the fish are spreading out a bit and exploring around the tank more. Maybe there is hope.

I may start another thread about this to try and get answers fast.

Last edited by RCinAL; 01-23-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #6 
mjbn

What i did with my female bettas in a 10 G with other peaceful fish was introduce them all at once. I noticed that there were 2 fights at the same time as well. It is common at first introduction. What i did was put 3 of them back in their store bought cups (i hated to do this) with tank water and salt and floated them in the tank just so that all the bettas can see each other and simmer down a bit. I kept them there for a day and when i took them out, they were still flaring and all, but not as much. They eventually formed their pecking order and thing's are going decently now. I will get hate for this.. But i think if i can get 5 bettas, 7 neons, and 5 kuhlis in a 10G, lots of hiding spots, then i think you can in a bigger tank. (PS, i'm getting a 20 long soon. I know I'm WAY overstocked.)
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #7 
RCinAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
What i did with my female bettas in a 10 G with other peaceful fish was introduce them all at once. I noticed that there were 2 fights at the same time as well. It is common at first introduction. What i did was put 3 of them back in their store bought cups (i hated to do this) with tank water and salt and floated them in the tank just so that all the bettas can see each other and simmer down a bit. I kept them there for a day and when i took them out, they were still flaring and all, but not as much. They eventually formed their pecking order and thing's are going decently now. I will get hate for this.. But i think if i can get 5 bettas, 7 neons, and 5 kuhlis in a 10G, lots of hiding spots, then i think you can in a bigger tank. (PS, i'm getting a 20 long soon. I know I'm WAY overstocked.)
Though it looked serious at first, and I still am not certain it will work out, there are no damaged fins yet and the ladies are showing less and less interest in each other. Keeping my fingers crossed here.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #8 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
is the 10G for 10 goldfish???
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #9 
scootshoot

I have a 5 sorority going in my 14. Working out real well on my end. They get a little testy at feeding time but overall they are coexisting nicely.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #10 
RCinAL

Ok. If overwhelming numbers is the secret things are getting better. I just returned the red one (my favorite ) which had a curious, light colored "patch" on her side and exchanged her. I started another thread under diseases, but couldn't get any fast, educated theories on what this might be and didn't want to take chances. I also bought 2 more. Now there are 7 girls in the tank. I am a little worried about amonia spikes, but the tank is well established and should be fine. I'll just step up the partial water changes for the next couple of weeks.

At the moment things have levelled off and there is no fighting taking place, so I am cautiously optimistic here. They may settle down and decide to co-exist, but these fish do hate each other with a passion, that's for sure. Only time will tell if this works. I'll report back.