Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #1 
LucyLoofa

Anyone have experience with Banana Plants?

I've heard they're a bit hard to keep. I'd love to know before I buy some. :) thanks.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #2 
coolcucumber

I was wondering the same. they look really cool, and i'd love to have one in my tank
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #3 
DormDrax

I just acquired some... You are talking about the strange small little plants that have the weird thick roots right?

If so... then yes I have a few in my tank.
They seem to be doing well. Now the PennyWort I just got... now that isn't looking too hot.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #4 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
I just acquired some... You are talking about the strange small little plants that have the weird thick roots right?

If so... then yes I have a few in my tank.
They seem to be doing well. Now the PennyWort I just got... now that isn't looking too hot.
Many plants have strange looking roots... I have no idea what you are talking about unless you provide a picture...
If you bought it, how are you unaware of it's name, place of origin, plant type, or growth needs?
Regardless, I hope whatever plant you do have does well in your tank's conditions.

----
EDIT
----

I'd like to stay on topic please though. If someone has experience with banana plants I'd love to hear what they have to say.
How long has it been in your tank?
Under what conditions does it thrive best?
It's a very interesting plant and I think it's large leaves would provide a perfect resting place for a betta, so I'm very interested in getting it.
It has a lot of personality from aesthetics alone.

Last edited by LucyLoofa; 01-23-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #5 
ChicagoPete

Banana Plant
Seen it at Petco
Dont have it though.
Got the pic from Drs Foster & Smith Site liveaquaria.com
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #6 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPete View Post

Banana Plant
Seen it at Petco
Dont have it though.
Got the pic from Drs Foster & Smith Site liveaquaria.com
haha. thanks. now maybe drax know if it's the plant he has in his tank right now. :)
Don't those leaves look like the perfect natural betta hammocks!!!
I'd seriously love to have one!
I hope someone bites soon with some helpful tips.
I know I can afford it, it's just a matter of knowing how to properly care for it.
Here's a link to the plant's profile on PT.net:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my..._aquatica.html

Only four people have commented on it with their actual experience.
I'd like to hear what others have to say about it.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #7 
kfish

We have one in our main tank at home... We don't do anything special to the tank, and I can't say it's flourishing, but it is surviving. The tank is cycled and has been established for fifteen years.

It's been in there for like a year, however, until two months ago it was in a spot where it did not receive much light. Since I moved it to the front of the tank, it's started growing a lot more (used to not have any sprouts on it - just little tabs of root).

You probably won't have trouble keeping it alive, necessarily, but it might not grow very fast.

Sorry about quality - I had to cut it out of a picture of the whole tank. Not there right now to take a new picture!

Sounds about the same as this review: A tough little plant. Has survived in my tank, even with lighting less than 1 WPG. I've upgraded my lights to about 1.5WPG -- it hasn't really grown, though.

Last edited by kfish; 01-23-2011 at 10:25 PM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #8 
DormDrax

*Playfully whips you with Anacharis*

Yeah... I knew what plant you were talking about. Yes that is the plant I have, I got it from the Aquatic Plant Website that this site gets a discount to use. I know their conditions and so on. I grow plants as a hobby *Wags finger* So don't act like I don't know what I'm growing. I just was wondering if YOU knew which plant you were talking about. Since you didn't post a picture... who knows maybe there are several types. I grow several banana tree's in my yard during the summer and then bring them in during the winter (Their just like bulbs, chop off the leaves and clean them of dirt and just store them in a dark cool place.)

The site says they are pretty easy to take care of but who knows, it's probably all up to your tank conditions if it will do well. The smaller one of mine already just after a few days has several new roots growing from the middle of the plant (Not the big roots, like normal roots).

No way to know until you try! What one person kills on accident may thrive in your care.
I mean come now I had trouble with Anacharis which is like the easiest plant to take care of in a tank yet all of the other plants are doing rather well.

Keep heed though, in high light they extend their leaves up to the water surface, in low light they keep their leaves rather close to the plant. Both are fine but just as a tid bit of how you perhaps want it to look. Tall and elegant or short and full.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #9 
MoePaac

I grew this plant in my betta bowl when I changed the water about once a week, natural sunlight only, no heater... and it flourished.

Once I put it in an established tank it survived, but didn't flourish. Once it was in my NPT it again, survived, but didn't flourish. It seems like the less you do for this plant the better.

I found them difficult to plant as you don't really want to cover the thick roots/rhizome at all if you can help it. I would bury about a third of the rhizome and it would rot away. Eventually small white roots will grow, and these will attach into the substrate. Overall, I'd say its a hit or miss. Sometimes it was a nice bright green, sometimes it would grow long stems, other times it would rot away. I eventually threw out the two I had.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote