Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #1 
LucyLoofa

Looking for POND/POOL FILTER MEDIA

I'm looking for some gravel pond or pool filter media.
I need a lightweight gravel to cover the soil in my tank.
I didn't have a lot of success with sand.
The guide I'm going by recommends an inch of soil with 1.5 inches of pool filter media gravel. It's fine enough for plants to grow through but large enough to hold in the beneficial bacteria I need to break down nutrients for the soil.
I'm having trouble finding some. Any help would be great. Thank you!
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What went wrong with the play sand?

You can get small diameter gravel at places like home depot..pea gravel....that is what I use sometimes....you can 50 pound bags for less than 10 bucks
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #3 
MoePaac

I too am curious what went wrong with the sand. Your tank hasn't been going for that long has it?
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #4 
LucyLoofa

The plants were dying when I got them, but I thought they would perk up.
I think I had too large of a sand cap. That or maybe just didn't sift through the soil well enough for sticks and some excess ammonia leeched out. At any rate everything died except for the Creeping Jenny and the Hornwort, which still weren't doing so well. There was a burst of algae, but I couldn't get rid of it. :(
The rams horns are alright. They're sitting in a 1 gallon jar just doing their thing, don't mind having their water changed every other day and getting some algae waffers to eat. Well, small bits of algae wafers.
I plan on re-ordering plants(A LOT OF THEM) and starting over in my five gallons.
I'll see if I can try getting the plants shipped to my P.O. box here at school since the previous package had such trouble getting to my home.

Is there anything I'm missing here?
1 inch of soil, half inch of sand/gravel, and plants right?

I'm going out after work to get a new test kit. I'm thinking mine might have expired but I can't tell...
I hear they expire though, so to be safe rather than sorry I am getting a new one.
I'll also be ordering more heaters. Two more of them.
The ones I got a while ago are just wonderful. (about the only good thing to happen regarding the tanks.)

I'm thinking if I follow this method more closely I might have a larger chance at success than with the sand I used. http://thegab.org/Plants/step-by-ste...nted-tank.html
The gravel shown seems perfect, and I like the idea she had to include the oyster shells in the soil, but am wary of that since my tap water is supposed to be hard right off the bat. (going to test the out of tap water asap as well)

My friends are all really aggrivated with me for wasting so much money, but the sad thing is that I rarely see any of them in the first place. I'm yearning for something to interact with when I'm alone doing work or homework.

In fact right now I'm working on taking apart and old imac and turning it into an aquarium. I'm also working on taking apart a webcam to set up a "fish cam". Something I can use to take still shots rapidly of my fishtank incase I ever have problems with my fish so I can diagnose them in the best ways possible. :p
Money isn't that big of an issue when I know these will almost take care of themselves in the long run (the tanks and equipment that is haha. not the fish)
Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sorry...I have forgotten what size this aquarium is..also, type of soil, livestock other then MTS, how long has it has been set up, water changes, filtration????

You don't want to use oyster shell if you have hard water....
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #6 
LucyLoofa

3 gallon. No filtration. Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix.
MTS were DOA and my Ramshorns were having a time eating them. (or so I thought.) So I left the dead snails in the tank. It was heated to about 76 degrees.
I have no idea if they actually were eating them.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

In 3gal the rotting snails can cause ammonia spike especially when you have several at the same time and with MTS you can have them buried in the soil too that you may not know about....once the plants start to actively grow and are growing well-especially stems and floater- they will usually take care of the ammonia fairly fast...too bad the MTS's died on you...maybe one survived and is hidden in the soil and soon you will have more than you know what to do with...lol....since they are livebearer the offspring are really tiny and hard to see sometimes....and yes, the ranshorn did/will eat the dead bodies...they are great for that....

I have never had issues with plants in regard to sand cap depth...sometime the sand cap can bury the crown of the plant with some species of plants and cause them to die or start to look bad-but when you see this-give the plant a slight tug and pull the crown up and all should be fine...swords, vals, sags, crypt are sensitive to the crown being buried too deep

Good choice on the potting soil-I used that in my 25gal and it is working great-still going strong and is nearly 3 years old-cheap play sand cap with lots of vals, sags, crypt, swords, java moss and naja grass-floaters-water lettuce and frogbit...no filter and it get natural sunlight from a east window..lots of MTS, ramshorn, pond snails and RCS along with about 25ish 4 month old Bettas siblings

When you order your plants get more stem plants to help start the NPT and once it has matured you remove some of the stems to give the other slower growing type plants more room, light and nutrients
Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #8 
LucyLoofa

Alright. Here's the order line up for my next go at this. Please click the links beside the plant names for description on plant type and growth needs. This will help in telling me whether this will be a better setup.
When I start over I will be starting over in my two 5 gallon tanks. ( i caved and bought another tank)
I will have the filters running, but only for water movement. No chemical or mechanical filtration.

Stock: Rams Horns. Hopefully shrimp?

Anacharis http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...ria_densa.html
Bacopa Australis http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...Australis.html
Brazilian Pennywort http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...cocephala.html
Hornwort http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...submersum.html
Red Wendtii Crypt http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...e_wendtii.html
Creeping Jenny http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myplants/83-Creeping_Jenny_Lysimachia_nummularia_Aurea.html
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #9 
LucyLoofa

(P.S. The bold is for any one who happens upon this thread so their eyes find the bold text in the post first. I hope it works so people check out the plant profiles and give me some advice.)