Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #11 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
I tried that already... Except my dad wont let me seed it, I'll ask if I can take gravel from the LFS, and he'll say it;s badly infected with ich.

I'll ask to post a craigslist add to get some gravel. He says no one would want to give away fishtank substrate. I think i may end up putting up an add anyways...

I have lots of liveplants. They just aren't doing anything /= that or my testkit is messed up.
*Narrows Eyes*

That vine I have in there... is a Variegated Philodendron Vine. You probably can find one for like a dollar at any flower store often sold in little FuFu looking baskets with big bows and stuff since they are like almost unkillable. Dangle that in the tank after cleaning it's roots and let it try a hand in the tank. They are used to not getting any love, so survive on ANYTHING given to them so anything your fish produces that vine will devour like a starving Hobo and shoot out tons of very elegant roots.

Plus... Drax loves those roots to swim around. I swear that vine puts something out that Attracts Drax to it... he sleeps around it, he eats next to it... I dunno haha thank goodness it's in three parts so when I do water changes I put a small string of the vine in the vase with him.

Hmm...

*Looking over older pic of tank with that Vine*

So odd... that Recent Earlier pic really shows an EXPLOSION of Roots... I wonder what caused it. Maybe when the Ammonia went up from those TopFin Bulbs I had... (Now Gone) Hmmmmmmmm
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #12 
kfish

Don't start fresh, baylee! With no seeding it's going to take a while. You have to be patient. Your tank is only getting little bits of bacteria from the air right now.

The main place you will find bacteria will be in your filter. Your media will be turning brown.

As soon as I added live plants, though, my tank started converting ammonia to nitrite, then five days later I was cycled. Like I said, the whole process took 8 weeks, but I do think plants triggered it.

Stick with it, and keep doing frequent small water changes. Don't rinse anything out in tap water. And get more plants! :)
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #13 
baylee767

I've kind of started over, but not really. I didn't wash anything out, I just did 3 50%water changes and got the ammonia below .25. I'm going to cut all the Anarchis in half and double my plant count... Then in a few hours I'll add Neon. Hopefully he likes it, it's warmer than his current tank and has more hiding places and of course more space. I'll be adding a golden mystery snail this week =) I think it'll help a bit with the cycle.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #14 
baylee767

So I DO have nitrites... what?

I remember reading algae needs nitrites to live. I have a patch of it on the side of my tank, and some hair algae was on a decoration. I removed the algae. What's wrong with my testing kit?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #15 
ChicagoPete

Try SeaChem Stability and SeaChem Prime. My tanks been at normal readings with it and the chemicles your using sound like there not. I got both products in a 18 dollar kit at petco called HeadStart By Seachem witch included both product plus a bottle of water clearifier witch hasen't been needed yet.

Last edited by ChicagoPete; 01-22-2011 at 08:49 PM.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #16 
bettafish15

I would just stuff your tank to the brim with live plants, stick your betta in there, make sure you have a good liquid test kit, and I bet you'll be cycled soon :D I think maybe you dont have enough plants...
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #17 
baylee767

I think I'm ganna do that... Isn't that a walsted?

Neon's kinda freaked out, but he's enjoying the extra space. I have a feeling it's making him a bit uncomfortable, because he managed to get stuck trying to wedge himself between the bottom of an Anarchis bunch (So the plants weight) and the side of the tank... I could hear the gravel scraping the glass as he wiggled his head free. I moved the Anarchis out, now there's no where he can get stuck. But isn't it a bad thing when they try to wedge themself in a small space?

The mystery snail will be a golden mystery sail since they don't eat live aquarium plants. Hey, I have hard water and a high PH, so why not?

I hope I can get to this already >.< At least Neon gets more room...
Old 01-23-2011, 02:36 AM   #18 
baylee767

Woohoo!!! I have 2 nitrates!

Lol. I think I cleaned most of my miniscule colony up when I did those water changes, but the bacteria is still present. I got 2 AFTER adding Neon and I checked the levels. My dad has this super sensative testing kit (it's a thing called "multitest") so maybe the API couldn't pick it up because it was so tiny. But... I have 0 nitrites, .1-.15 ammonia, and 2 nitrates. What happened to my nitrites? meh. How long will this take? (Is about to double plant count
Old 01-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #19 
JD3P

It can take up to six weeks for it to cycle, so you still gotta give it time. I think it should be finished by March though. Even if it's not it's better to keep your fish in the filtered semi-cycled tank rather than an unfiltered one without water changes for a month. Good luck with it.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote