Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #1 
FishFood

Exclamation Betta biting or something more?

Hello everyone,

I have had betta's for about a year and a half now and have learned a lot about the care of fish in that time, but I have a question about one of my female Betta splendens (Stella).

I was feeding my fish this morning when I noticed that Stella looked like she had chunks bitten out of her left side. I wasn't supposed at this because is rather aggressive with the other females (Ann (profile picture), Maggie, and Flow) but not to the point that they are harming each other. Ruben, my red male B. splendens is in the 10 gallon tank with them, but he is on the opposite side of a tank divider (the females have most of the tank space). He did however get loose for a few minuets, but I didn't notice him attack Stella (Ann bit the poor fellow though, ego wounded, but nothing bodily).

I have uploaded images of both sides of Stella (see bottom of post). She is behaving normally and not showing any other signs of illness that I am aware of (besides her little tail tail rips that have been healing).

My question is: Are these bite marks? and if so, how can I treat It? (I separated her from the tank as soon as I saw that there was something wrong. She is currently in a 1 quart container.)

Some other things that you may want to know is that:
-They are in a 10 gallon tank (divided).
-Small filter (plant in front of output to prevent strong current).
-Lots of fake vegetation and ornaments for hiding (they love them).
-They prefer to eat flakes.
-They are really fat (I only feed them once a day I promise!).
-All are mature females.
-They have been in a tank (with out a divider) with a previous male (also B. spledens) and they never fought with him.
-Temperature is approximately 72F.
-They are very active.
-There are two small brown snails (unknown species) and one Pomacea bridges (blue/gray coloration) in with them.
-I don't know the pH of the tank.
-The hierarchy of the females is: Stella, Ann, Flow, then Maggie.

I would really like to know if there is anything I can do to make this better. I am marine biology student and wanted to start caring for some "easy" fish so that I might be able to have a reef tank with Crinoids later on in life. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. I hate to see my spunky little girl is such condition.

-FishFood

Last edited by FishFood; 01-22-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: images too big
FishFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #2 
FishFood

I think Stella just layed eggs. There are small white things all over the bottom of the container she is in. Please help! I don't know what to do with eggs!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #3 
FishFood

She is now in a 1 gallon container, but I would still like to know what to do!?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

The eggs won't hurt anything. She'll probably eat them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #5 
lilchiwolf

those look like fighting marks to me. I would start treating her with some aquarium salt so she does not get a fungus growing on that wound. It will help heal her too. Keep her away from the others for now in her own place till she recovers then float her with the females so they can get used to her again. Pecking orders can go rough.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #6 
FishFood

Thanks all, She has been in aquarium salt baths for a few days now and she is look much better :)

Tags
bite marks, female betta splendens