Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #1 
Kiku

Recovering from disaster, what now?

My ten gallon tank killed one of my fish and nearly killed the other, and I honestly was having trouble finding the solution. They both had the same symptoms...fin rot, clamped fins, lethargy, etc. The water was always at a steady 80 degrees and I did frequent water changes, so when my first fishy died I figured it must be because I didn't cycle. Well, I cycled, and my fshy still got sick the second time! Luckily I saved him by putting him in a fishbowl (I think it's a bit under a gallon) and he's looking much better. The ten gallon tank is driving me nuts, so I'm thinking about just starting over. Should I get a new tank? I'm thinking about a 5 gallon but I'm poor *laughs* anyone have suggestions? I've decided not to use plastic plants anymore, I think they might be part of the problem. I'm going with silk now (live plants are too much of a hassle for me).
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Did you clean the tank after your first fish died? If you didn't, it was still harboring the bacteria that caused the illness in your first fish. Just clean it with scalding hot water this time. Also, some vinegar would also help. Just make sure your rinse it away COMPLETELY with hot water. There is absolutely no reason to buy a different tank.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #3 
Kiku

After the first time, I added bleach to the water and let it sit for a day, then rinsed (and scrubbed) it with scalding hot water. Anything that was there should have been gone, including any bleach residue. I SERIOUSLY cleaned that bad boy...
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

If you got the Betta fish from the same place, they may have had a disease that came with them from the breeder. You might want to get your next fish from a different seller.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote