Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Its the end of the world! Whould you eat your pet if all other food is gone?
YaY 4 26.67%
NaY 11 73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 AM   #21 
elijahfeathers

Sad, but hey, if there was no food around and I was hungry, I'd try betta soup if I had to. I love my pets, but I know they're animals, and I know I'm people. And I also know if I dropped over dead and they didn't have food, they wouldn't feel bad about eating me. *shrugs*

I do honestly hope that I'm never in a situation in my life where I'm faced with the option of starving or eating my pets, though. :/
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #22 
Duncan13

Ahhh thats a horrible movie! I hate movies that have plots like that!
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:17 AM   #23 
BettaHeart

when it comes down to being in that type of situation nothing is going to stop instinctual behavior unless yes your brain has an imbalance that wont allow you to survive the only way it knows by taking in sustenance from just about anywhere it knows it will get it. Alot of people can say they will never do such a thing that its cruel and against their order of life but thats denying the fact they evolved from a species that killed just about anything to survive in a time when food didnt come to your door in a neat little box or out of the microwave, from the "great hunting grounds" called the grocery store. I would definitely say i would create supper with my pets even if it meant everyone here creating some type biased opinion of me.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #24 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPete View Post
I mean jeeze if it where a bobcat or rabit or something I whouldn't have cared.
I kind of find this a little hypocritical. There are probably people on this forum who easily like bobcats or rabbits instead of cats. Just because there was a 2 second scene of him shooting at an animal doesn't immediately make it a bad movie. Considering the situation of the movie, he was more than likely shooting it for food, not for sport or cruelty.

To be fair, I didn't like the movie either, but it was only because I found it dull. It's very difficult to make post-apocalyptic movies IMO and this movie was no different. The only "good" part of the movie was the ending, and the rest of it was just fluff to make Denzel Washington more awesome than he already is. They could have honestly shortened the movie into a monologue or a montage with him dying at the end and it would have been the same thing.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #25 
bahamut285

As for the offshoot of people going on about violence in relation to seeing it movies/video games...

This is why there are ratings such as E for Everyone and M for Mature. The game ratings are there because, yes although violence in video games is not great. It's rated M because people at the age of 18+ are mentally capable of saying: "Okay yeah it's just a game, I'm not going to treat my life like Call of Duty or Halo or something".

The ignorance comes with parenting. Believe it or not, parents have a huge impact on how their children turn out. I really have issues with this "New Age Parenting" that's been a huge fad going around current parents, in which you just "let your child grow" without any form of punishment or reward. OR those over-indulgent parents who buy their 12 year old Call of Duty because the punk won't shut up and the parent doesn't know how to deal with a whining kid properly.

You have to explain to your child WHY something is wrong, not because "it just is" or "You'll be arrested so don't do it". Sure some kids won't listen or will rebel, but that's only because when they were younger, the basic "respect your parents" was not enforced, or enforced poorly.

Since this is getting really off topic, I'm going to stop, but feel free to reply, I don't bite...hard.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #26 
ChicagoPete

Ok yall the majority has spoken and convinced me to not jump into conclusions with this movie and Ill go out and rent it and see what the rest of it is like.... Just fast forward through the cat killin scene at the beginin.

ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #27 
SmokeNLark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
As for the offshoot of people going on about violence in relation to seeing it movies/video games...

This is why there are ratings such as E for Everyone and M for Mature. The game ratings are there because, yes although violence in video games is not great. It's rated M because people at the age of 18+ are mentally capable of saying: "Okay yeah it's just a game, I'm not going to treat my life like Call of Duty or Halo or something".
I completely agree about the parenting. I was just adding to say that the rating systems for movies are screwed up (I'm 90% sure video games are the same way). They are rated by people with no expertise, no one is allowed to know who rates them and there are no standards that they go by. They sit in a room and watch the movie then come up with a rating. They are far more stricter on sexual things than violence. Which seems counter-intuitive to me since violence is what ends life and the other creates it. Also, directors are not told why their movie gets a specific rating. So if a movie gets an NC17 (no movie theater will play that) and the director wants an R (which will be played) they have to guess and make cuts where they THINK the raters had a problem. While I think a rating system is necessary, I feel that it needs a major facelift.

But yeah, I've seen that movie and I liked it. It wasn't bad. And it wasn't promoting cruelty, it was the situation. I'm glad you decided to be more open minded about it One job of an artist is to get your attention, this movie does it by using that. And it obviously did it's job. lol.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #28 
bloo97

If it was the end of the world and there is NO food, I would. I gotta live too!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #29 
Barrix

If there wasn't anything else to eat on our planet I wouldn't eat my pets unless they died before me. I feel like my pets are the only thing in the world that can connect with me and actually understand me. When I'm upset they're always there to cuddle with me until I calm down. There's no way I could kill them because of the bond we've made. If they already died then they'd feel no pain as I cut the meat from the fur and I wouldn't feel like I betrayed them.
Barrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think we can say "I would do this or that". We really don't know, unless we were actually in that kind of situation where we were starving. I watched an episode of Animal Planet the other day in which a polar bear female was trying to find food for herself and her cubs. She tried and tried to find food and if she couldn't find any then she would be forced to eat her cubs. That might upset some people but it's the way of nature. Fortunately, she did find something to eat.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote