Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #11 
LucyLoofa

flake food=harder for them to eat
betta pellets= cheap and easy to find everywhere.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #12 
Bettaluver4evr

Okay... I'll try some pellets soon then? Hehe. I'll start with a few flakes though, because they are made especially for bettas, and they have other things mixed in. So everyone's advice is keep the water clean, get some aquarium salt and start feeding pellets more instead of bloodworms? Just trying to sum up. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #13 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
Okay... I'll try some pellets soon then? Hehe. I'll start with a few flakes though, because they are made especially for bettas, and they have other things mixed in. So everyone's advice is keep the water clean, get some aquarium salt and start feeding pellets more instead of bloodworms? Just trying to sum up. :)
:D Yes!
But be sure to give the salt a break after a MAXIMUM or 10 DAYS.
Be verrrrryyyyy careful.
I treated poor Patriot past his limit with the salt. It stunted his immune system permanently. (same as betta fix does from what I've heard)
Even though this is a natural method, you still have to watch how you dose everything and when to let him have a breather.
When you go to petsmart, bring a dip cup (or tupperwear container) of your aquarium's water with you.
Let them test it. It's absolutely free. First tell them it's freshwater though. You have to know what your fish is swimming in.
If you can, see if you can a cup of water from his tank before a change, and a cup from after a water change to test. That way the water you bring in for testing is on one of your offdays so you know what his water has at its worst, and from a clean day so you know what the water is like at it's best. from there you can decide what you need to buy/change.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #14 
Bettaluver4evr

Ok, thanks! And don't worry, when I get the salt I'll only put in a pinch or so a day. Then I'll clean it and see how he does. I'll try to get some new food too. And I'm sorry about Patriot! How many bettas do you have now? :) I am sure Liberty will be fine, he is still as happy and spunky as he can be. It's just the fin thing. I don't know why it's happening or what it is, his water is always crystal clear. I hope he starts healing! Parts of his fins are already starting to grow back a little. :) And he loves Spongebob, I watch it all of the time even though I'm kinda old for it and my fish loves watchin with me. Hence his new decoration. LOL.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #15 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Ok, thanks! And don't worry, when I get the salt I'll only put in a pinch or so a day. Then I'll clean it and see how he does. I'll try to get some new food too. And I'm sorry about Patriot! How many bettas do you have now? :) I am sure Liberty will be fine, he is still as happy and spunky as he can be. It's just the fin thing. I don't know why it's happening or what it is, his water is always crystal clear. I hope he starts healing! Parts of his fins are already starting to grow back a little. :) And he loves Spongebob, I watch it all of the time even though I'm kinda old for it and my fish loves watchin with me. Hence his new decoration. LOL.
Put the salt in every day right after you change his water (after you add the dechlorinator).
He'll need to sit in it all day every day until the treatment is done.
And it's okay. You live and you learn.

I have none actually. I had a fish, Gunther, that lived for 6 or eight months. I forget which. It's been over a year since I've had him. He was my first pet (at the age of 18 haha) and I didn't know anything about betta care. I cleaned his tank once a week. He eventually died from stress and fin rot. Patriot passed the same way, sort of. It was because of the reason I stated earlier. He lived for a few months after I stopped posting on here in mid July.
I came back in the beginning of Christmas break.
I had been researching on my lonesome with my sister's help, and continue to do so now.
I haven't had a fish since Sept. I don't want one again either, not just yet.
I'm waiting until all my tanks are planted and established before I get another fish.
I learned the hard way how not to care for a pet. It was really painful for me, but my sister convinced me I should give it another go so here I am. :)
I hope all your other fish are doing well. Be sure to feed them the betta pellets you buy as well. They all need a balanced and healthy diet.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #16 
Bettaluver4evr

Awww, that is sad! I sure hope you get another betta soon, you sound like you care about them! You can't give up. I almost did after losing 3 guppies and 2 bettas to Ich, but I tried one more time, and now have 3 adorable and sweet fish. My other 2 bettas are stunning and very healthy. Thanks for your help, I will try to get some aquarium salt ASAP. I will feed him new food starting tomorrow. Thanks so much for the help you guys!!! Really appreciate it. I love my fish, and I know this one has enough life left in him for at least another year, he is so spunky. :) I'm doing my bestest.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #17 
Bettaluver4evr

Update: gave him a few flakes this morning, then a couple of bloodworms. Flakes stink, bad. But the ate them! Sorry, didn't get a chance to get pellets. I will try to get pellets soon. He is sleeping alot today. When I walked in he greeted me with even more energy than usual, and he was jumping for food the second I opened the tank lid. Now he is sleeping right by the door of his Spongebob house. I wish he would go inside and rest. He does sleep occasionally in the day, but usually not this early. He will wake up, swim around, get some air, then go back and chill. But this is normal, he does this everyday when he is sleepy. I also preformed his 3rd 50% water change. He took it well, still swimming and seeming happy. I think he is just tired today. No change in his fins, they still look the same. Praying they heal.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #18 
sjones

just keep in mind if you are doing partial water changes and adding salt every day over time the saturation of the salt may build up too high, since you aren't changing 100%.. just a thought
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #19 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
I don't have any test kits for testing water parameters, so I wouldn't know. I am preforming daily 50% water changes. I will try feeding him some betta flake food, because it is all I have on hand for other food. I will try going out to the store soon.
I didn't notice that these posts said 50%. It is VERY important that you do a 100% change when using salt for the reason sjones mentioned.
Like I said, the over use of AQ Salt was very bad for Patriot.
If you've been doing 50% changes with salt the past few days I would give the salt a rest for a week.
Make a 100% change daily as gently as you can during this week and continue with the salt after next Thursday.
Also see if you can get your water tested. That helps a whole whole lot.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #20 
ansalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLoofa View Post
I didn't notice that these posts said 50%. It is VERY important that you do a 100% change when using salt for the reason sjones mentioned.
Like I said, the over use of AQ Salt was very bad for Patriot.
If you've been doing 50% changes with salt the past few days I would give the salt a rest for a week.
Make a 100% change daily as gently as you can during this week and continue with the salt after next Thursday.
Also see if you can get your water tested. That helps a whole whole lot.
I second the 100% daily changes if you're adding aquarium salt every day. Among other things it will change your water's alkalinity, pH and I think hardness if you continue to add salt without completely changing the water. Also, completely dissolve the aquarium salt before adding it to the tank.

Good suggestion to get your water tested by the petstore, also. A good free solution if you can't get a testing kit yet. But you're going to want one when treating with aquarium salt just in case.
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote