Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #11 
britnyjackson

I couldn't agree more, no need to get upset. I'm sorry i didnt look into it far enough. I want nothing more than for them to be happy and healthy.
britnyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #12 
1fish2fish

I don't think that male is breeding quality. He looks severely roachbacked or "shovel headed" to me which is not a good quality to pass along.

I'm also concerned about your choice of breeders. A CT and an HM? What is your goal from this cross because your looking at some pretty bad fins from a cross like this and heavy culling.

I suggest you put the breeding on hold and do more research into what it takes to breed and how to get nice fish. It's way more than putting two fish that you think are pretty together... even two pretty fish don't always make pretty fry.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #13 
monroe0704

I'll go ahead and say, don't give up :) Just do a bit more research and be picky when selecting breeding stock, then make another attempt when you're fully prepared. Making mistakes along the way is all a part of the learning process. If you ever need some breeding stock, there are a ton of breeders on the forum here who would most likely be more than happy to hook you up!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #14 
Lyssa89

Wow. Way to jump on this person right away guys. I love this forum but sometimes you guys come off as downright mean!

britnyjackson- Don't be scared off by some of the people on this forum, It's an AWESOME way to get breeding information and a ton of the people on here are extremely knowledgeable.

As a new breeder myself I can't give you tons of help but this is the set up that worked for me:

* 5-10 gallon tank filled halfway with a bare bottom
* A few plants on the opposite side of where the bubblenest is (I used fake plants but I really wish I had used real ones :P )
* A Heater and thermometer
* A lid to make it more humid so the bubble nest sticks together

PS- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FRY FOOD READY BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT BREEDING - I made this mistake. Don't do it. Trust me.

A super awesome website for breeding is bettysplendens.com
Lyssa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #15 
Luimeril

beautiful bettas, but what 1fish2fish noticed concerns me. the male's head is shaped wonky, and that's not really something you wanna pass onto the fry, ya know? you don't wanna breed a betta with something like a spine that's curved too much, or a "shovel head", as it's called. otherwise, the male's beautiful, but i'd personally choose a different male.

also, are you gonna spawn in that tank? you'll lose alot of the fry, if you are, because the male won't be able to find them if they drop outta the nest, and he wont' be able to find the eggs, either. i'd get a different tank for spawning, but that's just me. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

I'd like to address the issue with the tank. It is not neccessary for the tank to be bare bottomed at all. OFL breeds exclusively in planted tanks with substrate of some sort and many wilds breeders keep planted/substrate tanks.

However, if you are planning to use that tank it has to be solely for the fry. You can't divide it and keep an an adult on the other side because the fry will get eaten. It's also true that the parents may have difficulty getting the fry from in between the gravel so you may lose some eggs.... but for a first time breeder that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #17 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa89 View Post
Wow. Way to jump on this person right away guys. I love this forum but sometimes you guys come off as downright mean!

britnyjackson- Don't be scared off by some of the people on this forum, It's an AWESOME way to get breeding information and a ton of the people on here are extremely knowledgeable.

I did say i was going to come across bad, but my concern ISNT her feelings its the care of the fish. I have been raised to respect any and all animals from the cute and cuddly to the deadly and irresponsible breeding of ANY ANIMAL is completely wrong and I will speak my mind about it.

IF i saw anything AT ALL here in my town regarding irresponsible breeding or care of ANY ANIMAL i'd report it to the correct authorities and i HAVE.
I come across a dog crossing the road one day he was infested with fleas and mange no collar either, he was skin and bone and when i found out he belonged to a local council worker for the pound i reported it and put an ad in the local paper about the condition of the animal to bring awares to the situation. the dog was tracked down and removed from the persons care and since then i have had a lady from the area call me for assistance in finding loving homes for many dogs in these conditions.

So dont think i wouldnt speak up if i thought something was going to bring potential harm to any animal.

and again it was IN MY OWN OPINION.

As most of you will see and understand that i am very protective of all animals.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #18 
britnyjackson

Thanks for all of the info guys! I will hold off on breeding until I have a suitable pair and am 100 percent ready. Please don't get upset with me, and trust me I love my babies more then you could image. I only want the best for them, so ill just let them admire eachother from a far! : )
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #19 
1fish2fish

No one is mad at you :) and if they are they need to get off the internet and get a life.

Your just learning. At least you took the time to post this thread and learn something instead of letting them spawn and then coming to us for advice on how to fix it.

If you need any help or information or advice feel free to pm me. I'm always available to help people get breeding straight and get off to the right start.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #20 
britnyjackson

Thank you sooo much 1fish2fish. I love you guys because I can always ask and get an abundance of info!! Thanks for all the help, and I will NOT breed my bettas. : )