Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #21 
Lyssa89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
I did say i was going to come across bad, but my concern ISNT her feelings its the care of the fish. I have been raised to respect any and all animals from the cute and cuddly to the deadly and irresponsible breeding of ANY ANIMAL is completely wrong and I will speak my mind about it.

IF i saw anything AT ALL here in my town regarding irresponsible breeding or care of ANY ANIMAL i'd report it to the correct authorities and i HAVE.
I come across a dog crossing the road one day he was infested with fleas and mange no collar either, he was skin and bone and when i found out he belonged to a local council worker for the pound i reported it and put an ad in the local paper about the condition of the animal to bring awares to the situation. the dog was tracked down and removed from the persons care and since then i have had a lady from the area call me for assistance in finding loving homes for many dogs in these conditions.

So dont think i wouldnt speak up if i thought something was going to bring potential harm to any animal.

and again it was IN MY OWN OPINION.

As most of you will see and understand that i am very protective of all animals.

....Okay, I worked as a vet tech in an animal shelter for over a year...Mange at this point is like to common cold to me. I've seen abuse you cant imagine. I never made a comment about how much you care about animals, I simply think that sometimes the way people word their advice to new breeders is very mean and maybe we should think about that. If you are mean to new breeders then they will go breed the way they want instead of taking the good advice. Believe me, I have to talk to people about breeding their dogs and cats the same way you guys have to with bettas.
Lyssa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #22 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa89 View Post
....Okay, I worked as a vet tech in an animal shelter for over a year...Mange at this point is like to common cold to me. I've seen abuse you cant imagine. I never made a comment about how much you care about animals, I simply think that sometimes the way people word their advice to new breeders is very mean and maybe we should think about that. If you are mean to new breeders then they will go breed the way they want instead of taking the good advice. Believe me, I have to talk to people about breeding their dogs and cats the same way you guys have to with bettas.
Abby, chill out. Its okay to be angry, but the OP didnt understand. Its not like she tossed them in together and said, "Hey! I feel like killing them/causing them harm!!"
She didnt understand.
While youre entitled to your own opinion, there is a limit to what you believe and being rude. Would you scream at a child for tapping on the glass of a tank? Its loud for them, it'd "hurt" them. No. You tell them they need to stop. You dont know these people in person, so they should be addressed with due and complete respect and courtesy.

And chyeahh, Lyssa. I hear you on that one... Its sad but true.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #23 
jmtriro01

im glad you listened to the advices mentioned here. there should be more forumers like you who takes time to think about things and really listen to those with more experience.
jmtriro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #24 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtriro01 View Post
im glad you listened to the advices mentioned here. there should be more forumers like you who takes time to think about things and really listen to those with more experience.
Agreed + 1<333333333
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #25 
britnyjackson

Aww thanks guys for sticking up for me. I donate to the ASPCA religiously and volunteer at animal shelters. My babies are my world and I would NEVER EVER intentionally do something to harm ANY animal! I cry everytime I see that aspca commercial with sarah mclaughlin for god sakes! haha. I love ALL animals no matter what!
britnyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't understand what all the uproar was about. I think Britny posted here for advice on breeding.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #27 
bettalover2033

Well i think you you are in the right path and have the best intentions but im afraid that this isnt the correct way. Here ill help you if you really feel you would like to breed

First you will need at least a ten gallon tank.
Clean it and keep it clean. Fill it up only HALF way so its easier during the embrace.

Then you will need a Sponge filter so this filter can clean your tank but not suck up your betta fry at the same time.

Then you will have to get an aquarium heater.
Betta fry NEED this because they are native to Thialand and in Thialand it is very hot ALL the time.

Then you have a choice of getting an indian almond leaf,You can find these on aquabid. this leaf will encourage the bettas to spawn because this is wat the male betta will build its nest under.

then you should get water conditioner because this also encourages the pair to spawn, because it has (IAL) Extract Indian Almond Leaf.

Or for the bubblenest you could use a half cut styrofoam cup.

And If you really want the pair to spawn then they need to be in their top health so for 1 week or 2 weeks you will have to condition them with live or frozen rich foods, so what you have to do is go out and buy some bloodworms or other rich healthy foods.

If you want the fry to survive you will HAVE TO HAVE live foods. Like brine shrimp, Vinagar eels ect so thats about it Good luck!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #28 
1fish2fish

You don't have to have anything. Breeding has so many different methods there are no absolute truths.. except needing a tank, water, and heater.

I breed exclusively in 7-10 inches of water and I've never had any issues with the breeders being tired of getting eggs etc. IMO a well conditioned breeder in good health should have no problem retrieving eggs from any depth. The fry are going to be in the nest.. they don't care how deep the water is either.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #29 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
You don't have to have anything. Breeding has so many different methods there are no absolute truths.. except needing a tank, water, and heater.

I breed exclusively in 7-10 inches of water and I've never had any issues with the breeders being tired of getting eggs etc. IMO a well conditioned breeder in good health should have no problem retrieving eggs from any depth. The fry are going to be in the nest.. they don't care how deep the water is either.
I completely agree, but for beginner breeders i would suggest a depth of about 5-6 inches because it just helps a little. Also 1fish2fish, i usually fill my tank all the way up when i breed. So i know what you mean.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #30 
britnyjackson

Please dont worry you guys, I will NOT be breeding my bettas. I understand now.
britnyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote