Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

All my roommates were screwed up in some way and the last one was a druggie.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #12 
MoePaac

Dorm all the way. In my opinion, everyone should have to live away from home for some time, and should have a roommate at some point (shocking I know). I hated my roommate for the first few months of my freshmen year... but it's where I learned to make compromises, work with a peer, stand up for myself, and become humble to others. You learn not to take yourself so seriously, and you get the chance to learn a lot from those on your hall.

Sure, dorms can be noisy... people can get annoying... but it's one of those great life experiences. It makes for stories. Plus, more often than not, you can make really great friends.

In my experience, those who commute (i.e. live at home) miss out on some of the college experience... which can be defined in so many ways. They aren't there at night walking to and from the library or dining commons, they aren't hanging out at nights or on the weekends, they are just seen going to and from class -- but to each their own.

I am about to graduate this spring, and my college has become my "home." Sure it's frustrating sometimes, but my friends have developed into a close family that I wouldn't trade for anything. Oh, and I have had roommate(s) for 3 of the 4 years I've been at school.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #13 
puppyrjjkm

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses but I really appreciate it! I do think the farter school would give me a better education, and the single dorm is really nice because I'm not always a great social person!! I think living away from home would really help me branch out and get out of my comfort zone. I just need to look at the pros and cons like DQ said, then go from there! Thanks guys, I'll be visiting the distant college in a couple months to hopefully see my actual and give me a better perspective to make my decision! Ah it just a tad overwhelming haha!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #15 
tsoto80

Have you decided what you are going to major in yet? :)
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #16 
MoePaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
I think living away from home would really help me branch out and get out of my comfort zone.
That is a great thing to hear, and I certainly became more outgoing after that first year of school. With this attitude, it will definitely be a successful experience.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #17 
SaylorKennedy

I would definitely go with the school you'll get a better education at. You can adjust and live anywhere.

Personally as a freshman in college right now, I'm so glad I got away from my hometown rather than stay there and go to the college there. I understand your worries about leaving your horses because I had to leave my puppy. But I haven't even been homesick yet and it's a great help to know he's being taken WAY MORE than well cared for. (Little bugger is running the house now :]) It's nice to have the sense of freedom. I mean, my friends and I have gone out at 1:30am to a 24hr diner and I definitely couldn't have done that at home. Another thing people have trouble with is getting outside their comfort zone. In our orientation the phrase "getting comfortable with being uncomfortable" was really pushed and I can see why now. If you stay at home, you'll be in a similar bubble to what you have now. College, at least for me, has been an experience where I was able to get out of my comfort zone and I feel like I know myself better and know what I want even more because of it.

Ultimately, it's your decision though! Hope you figure out what you want. :)
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #18 
puppyrjjkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
Have you decided what you are going to major in yet? :)
Thanks DQ! Yep, I'll be majoring in biology. My dream job would be an exotic hoofstock zookeeper (care for bison, rhinos, hippos, etc.) or care for the whales at SeaWorld (orcas, belugas)!

(I just noticed I've become a senior member! YAY)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #19 
tsoto80

That sounds like a great job! I would love to work with animals too. Always wanted to be a veternarian since I was little. Now that Im grown and know about nasty lil critters I dont think I can stomach it lol I wish you the best of luck and glad you figured out what you wanted!
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

That would be cool to work with animals.