Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #1 
GienahClarette

Jumping Hazard

I recently decided to start a new tank, and have come across a bit of a pickle. In between obsessively checking the tap water and making sure I had everything to make this tank able to support betta life, I forgot about getting a cover for the tank.

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, since I could just pick up a top. But, this is a rather odd tank. Pictured below, the tank-in progress:

That big cube thing sticking out of the middle of my tank? That's my filter. The clear bit of plastic on top keeps it from disturbing the surface of the water too much. I don't think a normal cover is going to be able to fit over this thing.

I have no idea what to do to keep any future fish from attempting to learn how to fly and jumping out of this tank. And I'm really worried about it.

I'm relatively handy, so I could make something to cover the tank provided that I didn't need to use any power tools. But, I'd really appreciate some other opinions before starting something that might not work.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #2 
bettafish15

I would lower the water level, thats what people tend to do. Theres a thread somewhere around on this forum about making a lid for this tank out of Lexan. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #3 
GienahClarette

If I lower the water level too much, the silly filter won't work. Otherwise, that's what I'd do in a heartbeat.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #4 
Lordsameth

Try getting some mesh (like for screen windows) and pipe cleaners. Tie the pipe cleaners together and go around the outside perimeter of the tank, and then get some mesh, cut it the same shape as the tank, but a little bigger. Use staples to fasten it to the pipe cleaners, and cut out whatever you need to accommodate the filter.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #5 
GienahClarette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordsameth View Post
Try getting some mesh (like for screen windows) and pipe cleaners. Tie the pipe cleaners together and go around the outside perimeter of the tank, and then get some mesh, cut it the same shape as the tank, but a little bigger. Use staples to fasten it to the pipe cleaners, and cut out whatever you need to accommodate the filter.
That...sounds really workable. Thank you!