Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #1 
ChelseaK

Quick Dwarf Lily Question

I have 5 Dwarf lily bulbs, one that has a TON of plants coming out. Do I try to take the roots out of the bulb or just leave it? I've seen pictures of the lilies and I don't see a bulb, but I don't know.

Just wondering! Thanks!
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I am not sure I understand your question.....

You have a lily bulb sprouting and you want to know how to plant it? propagate it? divide?.....not sure what your asking...sorry....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I thought the bulb on lily plants is part of their root system. Sort of like a daffodil or a cyclamen. I'm not a gardening expert, but I thought the bulb was supposed to be partially buried in the substrate so that the roots have something to grow down into. That's how my cyclamen grows, and then it just sprouts new leaves from the top of the bulb.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #4 
ChelseaK

I guess I'm wondering how to propagate it.
I also had one sprout that was detached from the bulb already and I was just wondering if they were all suppose to detach.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

With the bulbs-you don't want to bury them or at least no more than half the bulb buried in the substrate

I propagate my lily by using a sharp knife and cutting the roots and plant from the bulb and plant it in the substrate...I will usually get several new plants from one bulb this way...I do this with the apon corms too.....the one you get dry or dormant in a package at walmart...both the apons and lily bulbs...I usually only get half from each package to grow so I have to propagate from the ones that do...laffs....

I have never had one detach on its own...but...I would plant it and see what happens...I would think it would be like cutting one away from the mother bulb......

Can you post some pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #6 
ChelseaK

Sorry the pictures are so poopy, I have to use my phone :( But that one that was broken off the bulb is that tiny little one, I planted it right next to a bulb that is just sprouting. Also that last pictures shows that there seems to be a bunch of leaves sprouting from the same roots maybe?
Attached Images