Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #21 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I had to take all my fish out of my tank recently...

The catfish and loach were hard to initially net (although they all swam calmly out of the net when released into the tank).

My betta calmly swam into and out of the net... and she was injuried at the time. She amazes me!

Oldfishlady, thank you for the tip about how to 'work on' a fish out of water. Hopefully she'll never need minor surgery, etc. but it's good to know what to do, just in case. :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #22 
baylee767

Lol... whenever I net Neon he wiggles so fast he's a blur. I've never dropped him, but I imagine if/when I do he'll wiggle so much he'll go across the room before I can do anything about it. But now that he's in a 10g I might never use the net if all goes well c=.

I personally don't agree with everyone. I think it's still stressful for the fish, and difficult. I know that measuring in the tank is hard, but you have to do what's best for the fish...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #23 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Hi baylee767,

I know you love bettas as much as anyone here, and I don't think anyone here wants to stress out bettas unnecessarily.

Although we have the best of intentions, we daily stress our bettas (moving too quickly near the tank, for example). To complicate things, what severely stresses one betta (like water changes) might not stress another (my goofy betta likes swimming in the incomming water).

I have noticed that some people who deal with a large number of fish and tanks are less 'personalized' in the needs of the individual fish vs. the entire group of fish that they are caring for. This is not to say that they do not love their fish or want them to needlessly suffer. Because their collections can be vast (professional breeders come to mind), they must develop ways of dealing with their fish that are practical yet safe for the fish.

I have measured my betta with a ruler against the glass, but I was patient, had lots of time and my betta wasn't freaked out in the process. If I had a large amount of fry to care for, in cups that distorted their shape and size (or free swimming, en masse), I might consider doing what the breeder did. Breeders have to be accurate in the information they give their customers, or they wouldn't stay in business long.

Consider this: if you're a parent of one child, that child gets the most possible attention and care that the parent can give. When the same parent has ten children, the parent still loves them all but may tend more to only their more basic needs, because that is all they have time for.

Or consider a family going to church, and their custom is to put on their 'Sunday Best'. Little Johnny, the toddler, is running all around like he usually does. His hair has oatmeal from breakfast in it and he's still wearing his pajamas. His parent scoops up Johnny for a bath and change of clothes. Johnny would rather play trucks. It's going to stress him out not to play trucks, and stress him out more having a bath, getting dressed up, staying clean and sitting still in church.

Is all this going to stress Johnny? Yes. Will it hurt him? Only if wiggles around and conks his head on the bathtub or the church pew. But he (and his family) will live through Sunday, regardless. And, one might argue, going to church that day helps bring Johnny a little closer to God and teaches him self-dicsipline (if I, Johnny, jump up and down in the pew, I might conk my head. That will hurt. I think I'll sit still instead).

So, even thought betta sometimes get stressed in the process of getting from the breeder to us, the process brings us closer to owning a betta.

*ends lecture, staggers off to be less stressed*
Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #24 
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
Hi baylee767,

I know you love bettas as much as anyone here, and I don't think anyone here wants to stress out bettas unnecessarily.

Although we have the best of intentions, we daily stress our bettas (moving too quickly near the tank, for example). To complicate things, what severely stresses one betta (like water changes) might not stress another (my goofy betta likes swimming in the incomming water).

I have noticed that some people who deal with a large number of fish and tanks are less 'personalized' in the needs of the individual fish vs. the entire group of fish that they are caring for. This is not to say that they do not love their fish or want them to needlessly suffer. Because their collections can be vast (professional breeders come to mind), they must develop ways of dealing with their fish that are practical yet safe for the fish.

I have measured my betta with a ruler against the glass, but I was patient, had lots of time and my betta wasn't freaked out in the process. If I had a large amount of fry to care for, in cups that distorted their shape and size (or free swimming, en masse), I might consider doing what the breeder did. Breeders have to be accurate in the information they give their customers, or they wouldn't stay in business long.

Consider this: if you're a parent of one child, that child gets the most possible attention and care that the parent can give. When the same parent has ten children, the parent still loves them all but may tend more to only their more basic needs, because that is all they have time for.

Or consider a family going to church, and their custom is to put on their 'Sunday Best'. Little Johnny, the toddler, is running all around like he usually does. His hair has oatmeal from breakfast in it and he's still wearing his pajamas. His parent scoops up Johnny for a bath and change of clothes. Johnny would rather play trucks. It's going to stress him out not to play trucks, and stress him out more having a bath, getting dressed up, staying clean and sitting still in church.

Is all this going to stress Johnny? Yes. Will it hurt him? Only if wiggles around and conks his head on the bathtub or the church pew. But he (and his family) will live through Sunday, regardless. And, one might argue, going to church that day helps bring Johnny a little closer to God and teaches him self-dicsipline (if I, Johnny, jump up and down in the pew, I might conk my head. That will hurt. I think I'll sit still instead).

So, even thought betta sometimes get stressed in the process of getting from the breeder to us, the process brings us closer to owning a betta.

*ends lecture, staggers off to be less stressed*

Never heard a better statement about this topic
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #25 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Ethan,

Thank you! :)

I loooove you avatar betta, btw...
Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #26 
Ethan

your welcome:

thank you he's actually my dads but we share our bettas he only has 3 though all the rest are mine lol he has a silver copper hmpk he is so awesome!
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use nets on all my fish. It's either chase them around with a cup or chase them around with a net.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #28 
MrVampire181

Also remember that sometimes the Thai ship bettas without water...they just lay them on damp moss and then layer them like that. Linda says whenever a bag pops during shipment she packs them to be sure no water leaks and that the fish will lay in damp shredded paper where he can survive and arrive in good condition.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #29 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

mrvampire181,

Wow, I did not know the moss shipping thing! Amazing!

I love this site. I am learning so much here! :)