Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #1 
lilchiwolf

Question HM or Delta?

When I go to the store to look at bettas I always grab the ones I like and put the cups next to each other to judge and compare. I find when I put the HM and Delta Tails together I find most of the time that they look the same.

So my question is: Can Delta Tails become HM's?

Pictures of the different types are recommended for this post!

NOTE: I did find this on a web page:

Delta tail was the first step before achieving halfmoon tails. Delta tails are like a fan tail with crisp, sharp angles at the tail edges - the sharper the better. If the angle is wider than 130 then it is a "super delta tail". And if the angle reaches a perfect 180 (or more) then we have a halfmoon! The halfmoon tail is elusive because it seems to pop up in spawns, and then forever disappear. You can have 2 perfect halfmoons, breed them together and not get a single halfmoon fry in the spawn. They are rare and therefore way costly. It is a most gorgeous looking tail which, when flared, looks like a half circle, hence the name "halfmoon"

Last edited by lilchiwolf; 01-29-2011 at 05:48 PM.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Most HM start out as deltas and as the males (and females) mature and stretch their webbing they become HM. I'm currently trying to get one of my fry to go HM, he's getting closer. By letting them flare every day for about 10 minutes they can stretch the webbing between their rays.

After a certain age... if they haven't reached 180 degress.. my opinion is they aren't going to most likely.

I'd be interested to hear Martinismommy's thoughts and how she gets so many HM in her spawns. I have a feeling there's a lot more genetics than people think and I also think it relies heavily on the female. A female with heavier branching and more spread matched with an HM male should yeild a much higher percentage of HM fry.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #3 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Most HM start out as deltas and as the males (and females) mature and stretch their webbing they become HM. I'm currently trying to get one of my fry to go HM, he's getting closer. By letting them flare every day for about 10 minutes they can stretch the webbing between their rays.

After a certain age... if they haven't reached 180 degress.. my opinion is they aren't going to most likely.

I'd be interested to hear Martinismommy's thoughts and how she gets so many HM in her spawns. I have a feeling there's a lot more genetics than people think and I also think it relies heavily on the female. A female with heavier branching and more spread matched with an HM male should yeild a much higher percentage of HM fry.
Wow! I never knew that about the stretching of webbing! Learn something new every day!
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote