Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #1 
Malvolti

Talking PetsMart Associate refused to sell!

No, She sold to me. This story took place while I was waiting to talk to her. She was the only person working in fish and it was a busy day.

I was admiring the fish and trying to decide if my 10 gallon could support a Mystery Snail (have a diatom outbreak, decided to take care of it manually so no snail) when a family came in. They staryed looking at the fish. The father asked the associate where the Loaches, he specifically wanted a Loach.

The associate politely pointed to the tank with the loaches and left what she was doing to go and help them. They were looking at the varieties of loaches trying to decide what kind they want. They said they already have a clown loach. She asked them what the size of the tank was and what other tank mates were in it. They said it was 20 gallons and had; 1 3 year old loach, 1 3 year old Pleco AND 10 tetras!

The associate looked kind of stunned for a second and then said "No, your tank can't hold any more fish. In fact you are WAY over stocked right now. I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing them die off over the next few weeks."

She then went into a long winded speech about ammonia levels, stocking "rules of thumb", and telling this family exactly the kinds of tank each of their species needed. All of her information was spot on. Unfortunately the parents seemed to get a little hostile, but thankfully they walked out without buying. I have a feeling they just went to a different store though.

After that I thought I would tell her that I was impressed by her knowledge considering how little most other associates tend to know. She rolled her eyes and we spent several minutes talking about how evil most pet stores are.

This is the PetsMart I get all my supplies from, all of their fish associates are fairly knowledgeable. Most are breeders of various species themselves. They even change the water in the betta cups at least twice a day. It makes me happy to know that there ARE some pet stores out there that actually care more about fish that money.

Last edited by Malvolti; 01-29-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #2 
fishman12

That's uplifting! Good for her!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #3 
Jupiter

We need more employees like her!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #4 
Tomsk

Pet care before profit,thats the type of sales people I like