Old 01-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #21 
bettafreak33

sorry for my spelling
bettafreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #22 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafreak33 View Post
Hi evreyone, Im new here. I had a blue betta named thomas after the tank engine. I was like 6 at the time; I fed him for a few days amnd then forgot:( Then aweek later i remembered I have a fish! So I went to go look at him and there he was floating at the top of the tank:( I FELT SICK!! But anways now ihave a 10 gallon tank with dividers and three bmale bettas in it. I also have a 1 gallon tank with a betta i found at a betta killing wal mart. So feel free to ask any questions
You will probably get more responses if you start your own thread.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #23 
peachesxo

Hey! YOU CAN PET HIM IF YOU WANT, HAHA.
With your finger, as long as your nails aren't long/sharp, and you are very gentle

I've pet Sumo a few times and he likes it :)
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #24 
bettafreak33

Ok thanks but how do I do that?
bettafreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #25 
EKandRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
:) It's good to know you're getting what you need. If you every upgrade to larger tanks, you might want to consider buying something like Prime conditioner. It only uses 2 drops per gallon, so it lasts a long time.

IMO, in a one gallon you should do maybe 2-3 100% water changes a week seeing as ammonia builds up quickly. Keep an eye on those fake plants, plastic plants often times rip betta's fins. As for heaters, you get what you pay for. I would go ahead and invest in good quality heaters, I know Marineland insures that its heaters will literally last a life time. If they break, you contact them and they'll mail you a new one. They're a bit on the expensive side (20 ish dollars) but seeing as your bettas could possibly live to about 5 years of age (and you might become addicted to bettas XD ), you'll need something that'll last long enough.
I got water conditioner that says to use 5ml per gallon. It's Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus. It came in 4 oz bottle (118 ml). Since I need to go back with my coupon which I forgot, I was thinking of getting a second bottle with a second coupon, while it's on sale. I didn't read every single one, so i'm not sure if there was one that only needed two drops per gallon.

I thought it was bad to change the water 100% because the difference can shock them? Isn't that why you change 50% at a time?

Good point about needing the heaters to be good quality and last. I will keep looking into it.

I do hope I can get these guys to live longer than the bettas of my youth.
EKandRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #26 
EKandRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
Hey! YOU CAN PET HIM IF YOU WANT, HAHA.
With your finger, as long as your nails aren't long/sharp, and you are very gentle

I've pet Sumo a few times and he likes it :)
Really? You can do that? I wanna pet my fish! I wonder if Pontos would let me. Nereus probably wouldn't.
EKandRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #27 
Oldfishlady

If you have been doing regular water changes and use the same dechlorinated source water-keep the new fresh dechlorinated water within a couple of degrees between the old tank water that the Betta has been kept in...they usually will be fine with 100% water changes...its still a good idea to add some of the fresh dechlorinated water from the tank to the small holding container that you have the Betta in while making the 100% water change to acclimated them-then either net the Betta and place them in the tank or pour some of the water out of the holding container and add them...it is best if you don't add any of the old tank water...but a small amount should not matter much since it is not pet shop water...you never want to add pet shop water...but I am sure you knew that already.....

Once the Betta gets used to the water changes and they are done correctly- the Betta will often start to look forward to water changes and fresh water....

It really isn't a good idea to touch the Betta a lot with bare hands-if you do make sure your hands/finger are clean and wet so you don't damage the slim coat
Its a good idea to wet the net first before you use it too....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 AM   #28 
Alex09

PLAN B:
You can get a 5-10 gallon filtered tank, put in a divider, and save a bunch of time doing water changes. Once the tank is cycled you will only have to do one 25-50% water change a week. You will only have to buy one heater as well.

As for water conditioner, you can just get a general use one such as tetra's or Prime. They are more concentrated and as such will last alot longer and save you money.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote