Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #1 
Titus Flame

How are the bettas treated at your local pet store(s)

How are the bettas treated at your local pet store(s)? At the petco near my area, they are kept in the usual cups. At anouther pet place, they are kept in cups, and in some other sort of container.
Titus Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #2 
Luimeril

at my local pet store, it depends on a few things.

1) who's working
2) tail type
3) room

if the cool guy's working, he sets them up all fancy. HMs and other fancier bettas are placed in containers, like the divided half-gallon hex-thingie without the divider, set up in nicely decorated bowls, ect.

the HMs are usually in bowls, anyways, because they sell faster, and i guess people like the ways the bowls are decorated? not too sure.

if they have alot of bettas come in, the VTs get to live out their life while at the pet store in the tanks in back, with friendly fish. if they only get a few in, or it's mostly VTs, they stay in the cups.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #3 
Betta Slave

In all of the PJ's I've been to the bettas look quite healthy, and well-cared for apart from their lack of swimming space... at some Petsmarts the care is ok, and others the bettas are half-dead.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #4 
iheartmybettas

In all of my LFS's they are in the little cups but the ones at Petco seem healthier and cleaner than at Petsmart. Both Petco and Petsmart are way cleaner than the treatment they receive at any of the Walmarts around me. It is just sad! :(
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #5 
Crazykat

In my LFS, which is not as local as I'd like, the crowntails are in 14g tanks with other fish and the HMs are in their own little .5 gallon holders with some plants. It's really nice. Actually, part of the reason I picked Dory was because he was chilling in a 14 gallon with super fancy guppies. I figured if he could handle that, he probably wouldn't mind a few cories and some shrimp.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #6 
Canuck Fins

At one, they are in the little plastic cups with lids in blue water. Methelyn blue I'm assuming. At the other, they are in rose bowls with open tops; those hold probably about 2 cups of water, but no blue in it. Walmart here doesn't have fish. Not sure what they are like in pet shops in other parts of the city. I've only looked in these two.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #7 
bettamaniac

at my lfs they keep them in cups that I have never seen dirty sadly they are closing
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #8 
bettafreak33

At the petcos near me they are kept in cups but the water is very clear and the bettas look healthy. At petsmart they are in cups and the water is pretty bad.And at wal mart (shouldnt be selling fish) they are kept in a little bigger containers than petco but the water is terrible and about 5 percent of the bettas are either dying or dead.
bettafreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #9 
weluvbettas

They dont keep bettas in cups over in the UK. They are kept in VERY clean tanks with other fish. In one shop they have them in HUGE jars because they got a shipment of 75 males instead of 75 females. :/
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote