Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #611 
cjayBetta

I was wondering how long it normally takes for a fish's fins grow back after they have been eaten by another fish/crawdad.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #612 
iDed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Ided: welcome to the forum ^-^
IMO they're both good, though I think marimo balls might do a slightly better job of keeping the tank slightly cleaner (though you'll still have to do 3-4 50% water changes and a 100% water change a week).

CJay: try soaking them completely in either water or garlic juice before feeding, that'll make them soft, easier to eat, and less likely to constipate him (and if you use garlic juice, you've got added protection against internal parasites.) If he doesn't eat them, just do what Canuck says

bettaslave: another parasity betta? Sheesh, no offence, but IMO you must have terrible luck with parasites .... though you definately know how to treat them XD. to answer your question, I have no idea, though are you sure mixing two different parasitic treatments is alright?
thanks
I took your advice and picked up a marimo ball and i love it probably more than my betta Oscar (he just kinds of ignores it).

After doing a little research I've decided to pick up a 2.5 gallon (the minibow 2.5) tank along with a heater and new filter. Now I'm pretty sure a 2.5 gal would be enough room for a betta, java fern, and a marimo ball, but I was also considering getting a couple ghost shrimp down the road as well. Would that be overcrowding the tank, or would a 2.5 gallon tank be enough space for everyone?
iDed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #613 
JKfish

Well, technically a 2.5 gallon is generally considered minimum for a betta. However, if you wanted to, you could get a few so long as you provide them some form of hiding spots and are sure to feed them... of course how long they will live also depends on your betta, some bettas do enjoy midnight shrimp cocktail snacks XD . Also, since your tank is not cycled, you should be doing 2-3 50% water changes and a 100% water change a week. Shrimps are absolutely horrible when it comes to catching them, and they have this nasty habit of jumping out of the net, and believe me, once a ghostie is on the ground, it's almost impossible to find him. Along with that, shrimps are very sensitive to water quality, so it's best to have them in well established cycled tanks. If you want to do a fish in cycle on your tank and you do so properly with the right ammount of water changes, eventually you'll have a very stable tank in terms of water quality. You won't have to do 100% water changes and it'll probably be easier for your tank to handle a shrimp or two.

Last edited by JKfish; 02-01-2011 at 07:42 AM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #614 
Aluyasha

I got another question.
I just got a 1.5 gallon that currently has one very sick Betta in it. Right now I am doing 100% water changes everyday to help with his recovery. I was wondering though, how many water changes do I do when he is all better?

Also, Right now I am keeping his tank warm with a heating pad but I would like to put a tank heater in there soon, what is the best heater for a 1.5 gallon tank?
Thanks. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #615 
Oldfishlady

When cycling a tank you don't want to do any 100% water changes-if you do...you start the cycling process all over again.....In a 2.5gal filtered tank-twice weekly 50% water changes should maintain water quality before-during and after the nitrogen cycle has established...once cycled the second weekly water change is for fin health-when you add live plants depending on the number and species-often water changes can be reduced-the active growth of stem and floating plants will function as the filter...but you have to have the right type and enough of them to do this....not just any plant or just one will make a difference......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #616 
Aluyasha

Thank you. :)
Luckly, I already do have that water changing schedule for my other tanks. I just was not sure if it was the same for a 1.5 gallon.
I thought a 1.5 cannot be cycled?
The Betta in my 1.5 gallon, Darcia, has fin rot, fungus, and ich. I was told by a few people on here to do 100% water changes everyday to help with his recovery, should I not do that?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #617 
Oldfishlady

When you are treating the water changes will be different based on the treatment method you are using

It is best to treat in small QT containers that can be floated in the heated tank-this make observation easier as well as the needed water changes

The 1.5gal filtered tank can establish a nitrogen cycle-however, due to the number of water changes needed to maintain water quality in that volume of water the nitrogen cycle is moot IMO/E...that being twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate cleaning with vacuum or stir and dip method

In unfiltered tanks-they need 100% water changes and the number and frequency varies with tank size.....

cjayBetta-fin re-growth varies from fish to fish-depends on general overall health, age, genetic, degree and duration of damage etc....usually in an overall healthy fish-with proper treatment the fin re-growth can take 1 day to 1 month and sometimes longer.....I had a young female get her tail cut off to nearly the nub by a crayfish and I had her tail nearly 100% grown back with a natural treatment in less than 2 weeks and a young male fantail guppy in 1 week and on the same note...an older male nearly a month....also depending on the damage the fins may never look the same or return to their full glory and sometimes they may even grow back a different color....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #618 
cjayBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

cjayBetta-fin re-growth varies from fish to fish-depends on general overall health, age, genetic, degree and duration of damage etc....usually in an overall healthy fish-with proper treatment the fin re-growth can take 1 day to 1 month and sometimes longer.....I had a young female get her tail cut off to nearly the nub by a crayfish and I had her tail nearly 100% grown back with a natural treatment in less than 2 weeks and a young male fantail guppy in 1 week and on the same note...an older male nearly a month....also depending on the damage the fins may never look the same or return to their full glory and sometimes they may even grow back a different color....
Same thing happend to chewie, it was a crayfish that did it. The ma and pa pet shop I got him from was terrible... Most of the fish were dead or looked almost dead... One VT betta's stomach was so big it looked like he was gunna pop and had finrot. If I could have taken them both I really would of. It was run out of their garage that had mold growing everywhere it was terrible. Least I was able to save my little CT. I have him in a 2.5g unfiltered, temp 76-77.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #619 
BettaHeart

I have a new "female" for about a week now. Since its the last day of treatment for the 10gal i was going to introduce "her" but since having "her", "she" has changed color slightly and i cant really see an eggspot as "she" will not keep still long enough for me to have a real good look because "her" bowl is next to the 10gal and has been flaring with another one of the "girls". I noticed today just above the spot where the two are always glaring at each other there looks like a bubble nest forming (in the 10gal) could i been mistaken about both of these "females" ?
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #620 
Aluyasha

We would have to see pictures I think.
Though some females are known to act like males, flaring and even making bubble nests.