Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #1 
baylee767

Talking Niiiiiiiiiitrites!!!

*Squeals like a little girl* I knew it! It's FINALLY happened!

After 4 or 5 weeks of nothing from that dumb shrimp method I added Neon for the fish in cycle. I forgot to change the water for two days and the ammonia was rising startelingly fast so I did a MAAAASSIVE water change. Before that I tested the water and walked away.

I just looked at the results, and nearly died when I saw I finally had nitrites. It took 5 or 6 weeks, but they've shown up!

I haven't retested yet, but I probably killed alot of bacteria... oops. I removed almost all the anarchis because the anarchis I had ordered online were dying (The one from my LFS is just fine) And there was debries everywhere, so in total I probably did a 150% water change... heh. I had to turn off the filter for half an hour or it would have broken to get all that dead plant matter. I turned it back on and saw masses of algae on the glass and wiped it. But my remaining plants, part of the ornament, all the gravel, and the sides and back of the tank stayed wet. The filter might have too... I don't know because it was half an hour.

But basically, MASSIVE water change probably killed off lots of bacteria. But seeing as many surfaces remained wet, the bacteria should still be there. I'll update in a few minutes after I test the water to be certain if it's still there.

But anyways, I just screamed and exploded when I saw the results, so I just had to post it. Lol.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Are you sure you are not confusing nitrite with nitrate....you don't want nitrite....nitrate is what you want 5-10ppm and 0ppm ammonia and nitrite....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #3 
baylee767

No I'm not confusing them. Yes, I know I don't want them, it's just that my tank had nothing but ammonia and wouldn't cycle. The nitrites weren't high, .25, so not dangerous. I'm just happy that my cycle has finally started.

Also (Feels like an idiot) Of course... hehe... after a mega waterchange like that there would be no nitrites for at least a few hours... *sweats* But I guess some might appear again tomorrow or the day after that. I wonder how long it'll take for nitrates.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote