Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #1 
lilchiwolf

Question Gah! Lime >.<

I well be getting a free 29gal used fish tank set up from a friend. I told him the proper way to clean it to make sure it is safe to use for the next fish. He send me pictures and there is VERY thick lime all over it, running down everywhere. He was not good at taking care of it....>.>

Right now he is doing the lime juice and vinegar technique and using a razor blade to chip at the thicker stuff. Is there anything more I could tell him that could help in getting rid of all that thick build up? I really would like it off the front of the tank at least.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Mineral deposits happen even with the best care and sometimes can't be helped especially when you have hard water.....however, cleaning weekly with your weekly water changes can help keep it under control.....kinda....laffs....anyway....what you are doing is the best and safest way IMO....that is what I do...vinegar and razor blades and lots of elbow grease....lol.....

When you get the tank...I would also do a 24h leak test...even with a newly empty tank....one wrong twist even empty can crack a seal or wrong move with a razor blade can cut or weaken a seal.....and what a mess 29gal of water can make....I know...had to clean it up once..... the day after I moved into my brand new house....bummer.....big time...not just the mess but no tank for the fish......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #3 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Mineral deposits happen even with the best care and sometimes can't be helped especially when you have hard water.....however, cleaning weekly with your weekly water changes can help keep it under control.....kinda....laffs....anyway....what you are doing is the best and safest way IMO....that is what I do...vinegar and razor blades and lots of elbow grease....lol.....

When you get the tank...I would also do a 24h leak test...even with a newly empty tank....one wrong twist even empty can crack a seal or wrong move with a razor blade can cut or weaken a seal.....and what a mess 29gal of water can make....I know...had to clean it up once..... the day after I moved into my brand new house....bummer.....big time...not just the mess but no tank for the fish......
Thank you OFL! I know the tank is in pretty good shape. THis person is a friend of mine and sent took pictures for me. It was all set up still with tera in it. He found a new home for the tetra fish and just took the tank apart for me. I sent him a "how to clean" list and he is doing a wonderful job! I will still test it when its here. This will be my Oranda Goldfish's new home till I can one day get my 75gal. I know he will be much happier.

This is what the tank looks like:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Its a 29gal Eclipse tall with the bi-o-wheal system built into the hood of the tank.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Nice tank and it will be great for the Oranda too...love those fish too....I miss mine......and lucky find and good friend...love Free tanks...those are the best kind....laffs....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #5 
lilchiwolf

NOTE: My friend said they Vinegar got all the lime off the glass, just not on the hood. But I don't mind much, I just didn't want it all over the glass.