Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 04:14 AM   #1 
baylee767

Question Growout and water changes?

This is one of the last things I need to know !

I'll be spawning in a 20 gal (clear) sterile tub. Don't worry, I'll fill it 1/4 of the way so the Bettas spawn in 5 gallons. Then instead of transfering the fry to a growout I can fill up the tub. But...

How often do I do water changes with the fry? When do I start, too? And is it okay if aquasafe and IAL's (1 for every 5 gallons probably) are my only conditioners?

When do I start making the tank a growout and raise the water level, how often and by how much?

Thanks!

Last edited by baylee767; 02-03-2011 at 04:24 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #2 
effy

well, im no expert, as i have just done my second ever spawn, but i can tell you what i have learnt and what i plan to do so that you have an idea till someone more experienced posts :D

I believe it is okay to start topping up the tank a week after the fry have hatched, although if your water parameters arent looking too good then it is best to start sooner.

I am planning to top up my levels very slowly, like an inch at a time. I also intend to base it on how many fry there are. I want it to be easy for them to find food, and the less water they find it in the better, but you also need growing room. its about finding that balance.

Once I am happy with the... fish to water ratio i suppose, i will be doing 30% water changes daily. the more water changes, the faster the growth of the fry. it is best to get as much of the dirt off of the bottom as possible, as this is what will polute your water and maybe even cause your fry to not develop properly.

as they get bigger, i will move to my bigger grow out as they wont be struggling to find food. Once they are in here, I will do water changes every other day, 40-50%

I am only going to be using IAL and a normal dechlorinator, probably my equivalent to aquasafe.

Hope that helps get an idea of how you want to grow out your spawn :) you can do less water changes than this if you are tight for time, the only annoyance is that they grow slower. So long as you keep testing the water, you will be fine. good luck with your spawning!
effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #3 
baylee767

Thanks! And I'm doing this in the summer and I'll have nothing to do, so I'll devote alot of time to these fry.

That sounds like a good plan... start at one week and raise water level. I think I'll raise it by a gallon or two a day once they reach the right age (while cleaning out 40-90% of the water).

Last edited by baylee767; 02-03-2011 at 06:15 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #4 
MrVampire181

I fill the tank up as soon as I remove the male. I like doing large daily water changes from the start to get the best growth.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I start out with a ~5 gallon tank full of water. I don't use larger tanks because I believe the enclosed space allows the fry a greater chance of finding the greatest amount of food. By doing this I can escape doing water changes for the first week and my water params will stay fine. Adding a lot of live plants helps as well.

After the week 1 mark I do daily water changes of about 50-75%. I'm extremely meticulous in taking out the sediment on the bottom and because of this it usually takes a good 30 mins to 1 hour to change the water because I have to make sure I pick all the fry I sucked up out and put them back in the tank. I then fill a bucket up with fresh water and put it back in the spawning tank via an air tube so the flow is gentle and the temperature stays roughly the same.

At 1 month of age they go into growout and daily or every other day water changes are made. If I had more time I would have done more changes.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #6 
Dragonlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
How often do I do water changes with the fry? When do I start, too? And is it okay if aquasafe and IAL's (1 for every 5 gallons probably) are my only conditioners?

When do I start making the tank a growout and raise the water level, how often and by how much?

Thanks!
After the first week, I drip in about an inch of water daily. By the time the fry are 2 weeks old, I usually do 90-100% water changes daily or at minimum every 3 days. By the time the fry are 4 weeks old, the water level should be at a normal level. The reason for waiting to raise the water level is so the fry can get to the water surface and develop their labrynth organ. They need very warm humid air above the water for best results.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote