Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

5 gal with a betta and..?

Ive decided to give my newest little man, Macceroni, away to a good friend and kindly fishkeeper because he and Alle are just too stressed living in their divided 5 gal :,c Im very very sad about this, but it appears to be taking a toll on Macceroni. He may or may not be having a raised scale issue, so hes in his own QT tank.

That leaves me with $100 worth of tank and stuff in the tank, ergh. I got it for BOTH boys, but its too much right now...

My question:

Id really like something else in the tank with Alle, a usually demure and passive little man more interested in glass surving than anything else.

Its a 5 gal, in the process of cycling.

I HATE/GET CREEPED BY SHIRMP D: And snails...ehhhh :c

I know not much about other fish, so dont be mean, but..

Could I put another fish in there? Like a guppy (female, or a few?), or some sort of catfish/bottom sucker/idk that sort of thing with him? I really like them :B Any kind of fish would be cool, I cant fit a shoal or school in there, but any kinds of fish I could keep either alone or in a small enough group would be awesome.

Its a 5gal marineland hex, fairly heavily planted with silk/fake plants as well as terracotta and floating fake plants/ floating real annubias.

Anyhoodles, thanks in advance :c
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #2 
elliebellie

African Dwarf Frogs!! Check out this super informative link: http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id13.html
elliebellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #3 
bamsuddenimpact

careful with frogs. my mom had to return a pair cuz they kept nipping the fins of her fish.. And they werent really big. I had a scissor tail rasbora by himself in a 2 and he lived for awhile so I assume a 5 with a betta would be good :D
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #4 
shinybetta

Shrimp are your best option. The frogs are a pain to keep.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #5 
lavallin

I have had two ADFs and a docile betta living together in a 5 gal very successfully! My little betta boy was so cute with them... when one of the frogs was relaxed and floating at the surface, David (the betta), would hover right next to them. Not in an aggressive way at all, more curious. It was sweet : )

I wouldn't feed the frogs frozen bloodworms though... the betta will snack on them and they can carry parasites.

The betta will be very happy in a five gal alone though! And I wouldn't get any other fish for a tank that size... rule of thumb is that a betta can live with other fish in a tank 10 gallons or larger.

Hope this helps!
lavallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #6 
bettamaniac

males will attack guppies normally I think I read somewhere that you need at least a ten gallon tank to put another fish with a betta but I wouldnt even try even if it was just one male betta with just one other platy in a 20 gallon tank well I might try that but I would never purposely waste that much space on just two fish unless they were big or they were goldfish
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

In a 5 gallon tank, your only options ARE shrimp and fish. ADFs need more space than a 5 gallon with a Betta. I really suggest just leaving him in there alone.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #8 
naturegirl243

I love snails! I like it when mine climb up the walls and all the sudden just jump off and float down lol.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
In a 5 gallon tank, your only options ARE shrimp and fish. ADFs need more space than a 5 gallon with a Betta. I really suggest just leaving him in there alone.
Agreed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #10 
Sweeda88

Oops, I meant shrimp and snails. LOL
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote