Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #1 
BlueHaven

Taking filter out of a cycled tank?

I've decided to take the filter out completely in Thai's home.
He's the one who lives in a 5 gallon tank with 5 live plants.
Is it going to be a problem if I take the filter out when the tank is already cycled? I have an airstone in there.
Should I still change 50 percent twice a week with that many live plants?
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Because the nitrifying bacteria need oxygenated water you will not have a true nitrogen cycle without the filter, however, depending on the species of live plants you have in the tank...they may provide enough oxygen for the beneficial bacteria...regardless...with the right species and number of live active growing plants....they can function as the filter......if these are rooted plants-50% weekly water changes should maintain water quality with 1 Betta along with some shrimp and snails as long as the live plants are healthy and thriving.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #3 
BlueHaven

Thank you!
C:
Not all of them are rooted, 3 of them are except one is a floating plant (Anubias), and the other 2 are hornwort and marimo moss balls.
I don't mind chaning more water though if needed.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Hornwort is a great floating plant that can filter the water...anubias is a slow grower and is iffy with filtration and I have never had the marimo ball and know nothing about them...add some stem plants like naja grass, bacopas, ludwigia, rotala indica, hygrophilis...these are great filters.....even crypt, vals and sags are good once they are established and actively growing and other floaters like water lettuce, frogbit and duckweed...plants can be great filters.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #5 
BlueHaven

I will try to find some or one of those, thanks!
I think I know a store around here that might have some, it's a one of those small stores. :)