Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #1 
sindorei

what can go with a betta in a 6.6 bookshelf tank

i will be getting one of these neat things from petco soon, and i plan to stock it with sand and live plants (and maybe a small piece of driftwood or rock), and of course a betta. what tiny fish would do well in a micro aquarium like this, and also coexist peacefully with my betta? i was thinking a handful of whiteclouds and 2 otos (for algae control). any ideas? i dont care for neon tetras color too much, hence turning to the white cloud minnows. any input is appreciated, thanks!
sindorei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:00 AM   #2 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindorei View Post
i will be getting one of these neat things from petco soon, and i plan to stock it with sand and live plants (and maybe a small piece of driftwood or rock), and of course a betta. what tiny fish would do well in a micro aquarium like this, and also coexist peacefully with my betta? i was thinking a handful of whiteclouds and 2 otos (for algae control). any ideas? i dont care for neon tetras color too much, hence turning to the white cloud minnows. any input is appreciated, thanks!
6.6 what? gallon or liters? if u can link a picture to this thread it would help.

lots of people keep platys with Bettas, mollys are a little nippy. white colouds would be fine. ill be getting maybe plattys bristle nose catfish (a little teeny tiny one so cute) and or white clouds. the store id get them from have these all as tiny tiny lil things i may have to raise them up a bit before adding them to a female sorority lol i dont want them made into lunch!
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #3 
turtle10

Either way (6.6 liters/gallon) it is really too small to put fish in. Otos are social animals, so I am not sure how they would do with just two. I would suggest some snails or shrimp.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #4 
coolcucumber

i think you could probably put some neon tetras in with him. They look really nice, and are placid fish :)
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #5 
bettafish15

The 6.6 bookshelf tank is in gallons :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #6 
Crazykat

I believe White cloud minnows like colder temperatures than you'd want to put a betta in.
If you're talking 6.6 gallons, you could put in some snails or shrimp, but that's really too small to have any other fish besides a betta, since most small fish you'd need to put in at least 5 to make them comfy. If it's 6.6 litres, I wouldn't even put in shrimp or snails.
By the way, if you're doing water changes and planting with live plants, especially some fast growing ones, you shouldn't have much of a problem with algae.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #7 
Abby

my white clouds were happy in either warm or cold water. my tank was an outside tank got down to 10 or so celcius no heater and then when i moved it became a inside lighted/filtered tank and got up to 30 celcius and they were happy. they can tolerate such a wide range of temp because they are really pond fish
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #8 
Crazykat

I keep seeing about 50-70 degrees for the minnows. I imagine you can keep them at higher temps but it probably speeds up their metabolism and they don't live as long.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote