Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #1 
Oldfishlady

Smile Mark Denaro Podcast on Bettas

http://www.aquaradio.net/pages/podca..._07_04_09.html

This is a great podcast to listen to about Betta splendens and wild bettas....Mark Denaro was the past president of the IBC......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #2 
mand

Thanks for the link. I'm downloading it to listen to at bedtime :)
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #3 
ChicagoPete

Oh wow! Thanks OFL!!
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #4 
ChicagoPete

Oh mann am I hearing this correctly? That he suggests they are happyer in small half gallon tanks as aposed to larger tanks because they can damage theyr fins easyer from to much activity... I always thought it was what you put in the tank that did the damage not the size. >.> He then Contridicts himself at the end says theyll be fine in 10,20,30 gallon tanks.

Last edited by ChicagoPete; 01-28-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPete View Post
Oh mann am I hearing this correctly? That he suggests they are happyer in small half gallon tanks as aposed to larger tanks because they can damage theyr fins easyer from to much activity... I always thought it was what you put in the tank that did the damage not the size. >.> He then Contridicts himself at the end says theyll be fine in 10,20,30 gallon tanks.
In the end he is talking about the wild bettas not the domesticated bettas most of us keep....the first part of the podcast in on the Betta splendens...most is on wild Bettas and the IBC

And yes, with breeders and people that show Betta like to use smaller container without filtration to keep the fins in tip-top shape and to encourage good growth....when a Betta has long heavy fins it can be hard on them to swim and the excessive use of the fins to swim can sometimes cause the damage.....long fin Bettas are a man made fish and their needs and care are different than the wild type....they don't come from rice paddies they come from aquariums...when you hear them talking about living in puddles of water made by animal hoofs they are talking about the wild short fin Betta not the long fin man made Betta...although they are related...you will not find long fin Bettas naturally in the wild..... unless man put it their......and then they wouldn't survive for long.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #6 
ChicagoPete

I don't see domesticated betta makin it in the wild eather. There fancy colors whould eather work for them or against them from preditors if the bacteria and paracites in the wild don't kill them first. I see what you mean about show and contest Bettas being in small containers so they dont injure themselfs but I dunno.. the way he described it to me and how he kept refuring from show bettas, to household, to wild and kept switching between the three made it a little confusing to me atfirst. But I guess thats why your here, to help us sort out the middle we all miss in Caring for these guys OFL!!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #7 
ChicagoPete

Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

OFL has helped a lot of us to sort things out. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #9 
Pekemom

I really enjoyed the podcast alot. Thanks for the link, OFL!! AquaRadio.net has some other podcasts on all things aquarium related, too.

http://www.aquaradio.net/pages/podcasts/
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote