Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #1 
jschristian44

Starting with a clean slate, First time breeding!

Hi guys,
My name is Justin. I just got a HM female betta on aquabid and I would like to breed her with my Veil Tail male betta. Some poor soul tried to breed her too fast in the past, and I would like to know the steps to doing a proper breed. You could say she is sort of a rescue fish. Anyways, I have my male in my 10 gallon tank and everything setup as a display tank. I put the female in my 2.5 gallon bowl so she can get some rest from the past owner's mistakes. She seems pretty active yet which is good. I was wondering how long I should leave her in there until I try to breed her again. I was thinking let her have a good rest until mid-March sometime. Then I would move her bowl next to the male's tank, and feed them both live bloodworms every day for 2 weeks time. Then I would place her in a hurricane glass inside his tank. And after he starts building a bubble nest, and she shows vertical stripes, wants out of glass, has belly full of eggs, etc I would release her. Then I would wait another 2 days to see if they spawn, and if they just fight or something like the past owner said they did, I would remove her. Does this all sound good?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #2 
Panthera

No. Just No.

Don't try and do some stupid act like it was someone else that messed up and almost got their female killed. Own up to what you did and that you refused peoples advice, because you wanted fry as soon as possible.

Maybe then someone will help you. I know I wont.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 02-05-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #3 
jschristian44

well yes i made a mistake i guess. but now the female is healthy and in her own tank.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #4 
BettaLover101

shes healthy after only one day of seperation? I don't think so. Don't do this to her, give her time to get used to her new home and to heal from her injury with the male.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here we go again!!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #6 
jschristian44

no, you guys know as well as i do now, that i made a huge mistake. i took her out and she is going to rest for at least a month, probably more before i try again. this time i will make sure i do it right and condition them and introduce them properly. now i would like a clean state like i said about this, it's like starting all over. like they say, it's never too late for a second chance right?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #7 
Emmalea

I think it is awesome that you are trying to do things right now but the fact that you still want to breed them proves you aren't really listening.
Here are some hings you need to consider.
1: Your male should never be bred, not to this female, not to any female just NO. He is not breeding quality and he is never going to be, just because you think he wants to doesn't mean you should breed him.
2: You are not going to make any money selling your fry, Even the best breeders don't make much when you think about how much time and money they spend, your fish are going to be worthless, because you are not thinking about what you are breeding. Nobody wants blue VTs they are the ones that sit at the pet store and don't get bought.
3: You are only thinking about you, you don't care about all the stress you put your female through you just want fry, you don't care that your fry are all going to end up being used as feeder fish if you give them away on craigslist.

Please ask your self, do I really have the Time and Patience to breed Betta's.
You could try Seamonkeys, you can buy kits for them.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #8 
jschristian44

lol thanks emma, i was thinking about getting a halfmoon male to breed with her, but the male did everything right. he was just too aggressive towards her. he did all the things he was supposed to, the female just was not completely ready or was scared of him, could be a size issue.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
lol thanks emma, i was thinking about getting a halfmoon male to breed with her, but the male did everything right. he was just too aggressive towards her. he did all the things he was supposed to, the female just was not completely ready or was scared of him, could be a size issue.
He still shouldn't be bred...he's a veil tail...no one wants veil tails anymore.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #10 
jschristian44

so would you suggest i get a halfmoon to breed with her?
Closed Thread