Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #1 
ekolyne

Algae growth

Today I looked at my 10g tank and noticed theres algae growth spots along the side of the glass. I have 2 different types of bulbs in the tank. 1 very bright 1 and 1 dimmer one.

the algae is spotty with little dots and slightly bigger spots and is green. the bigger spots are no bigger than 1/3 of an inch so far

All the algae growth is on the same side where the brighter light is. Should i replace it with the dimmer one? Is algae growth good or bad? Will it affect my fish at all?

1 betta
3 peppered cories

Last edited by ekolyne; 02-05-2011 at 05:26 PM.
ekolyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Algae is normal and expected in a tank of water that also has nutrients and light.....and some species of algae can even be a sign of healthy water/tank...since this is a closed system it has to be controlled by manual removal (scraping) and vacuuming on a weekly bases with the water changes....most algae that is kept under control usually has no ill effect on fish or other livestock in the tank and often fish and other livestock will graze on either the algae itself or the microorganism that colonize/feed in the algae. Some algae growth when kept under control- can also help make the aquarium look more natural and soften the edges/look of items in the tank.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-05-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #3 
ekolyne

are there any tropical algae eaters that stay small and wont out grow my 10 gallon tank?

or do the fish stores offer something like "when they out grow your tank come in and swap for a smaller one"
ekolyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #4 
Pekemom

I was thinking of a bristlenose pleco - they are really cute. But eventually, you will need to move them to a larger tank....

http://www.funfishtank.com/2006/08/b...e-plecostomus/
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekemom View Post
I was thinking of a bristlenose pleco - they are really cute. But eventually, you will need to move them to a larger tank....

http://www.funfishtank.com/2006/08/b...e-plecostomus/
The dwarf subspecies maxes out at about 5 inches for the male - females smaller.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote