Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #1 
Omega3

Water Water Everywhere

Hello!

I helped my sister set up a small tank for her new friend, Horatio, who's the prettiest beta I've ever seen. We were advised against using chemicals to get out the chlorine and stuff from tap water. I was wondering if there is a water filter for one's tap that would eliminate or reduced the need for water purifying agents.

Thanks! And I hope Horatio's picture shows up.

Omega3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If you are on city water supply you will need a dechlorinator to take care of the chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals.......or the Betta can be harmed and possible die from the chemical water treatment in city water supply.

The home water filter change one ion for another and the water is not good for the long term health of the Betta

Bottled water can sometimes still contain the tap water chemical and lack the needed mineral for fish health and it can get costly with the needed water changes for the smaller Betta tanks-depending on tank size could be 2-4 50-100% water changes a week.....

It is better and often safer to get a good dechlorinator for your tap water like "Prime" or the API brand is good too.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #3 
Alex09

Dechlorinator is not bad for fish. Someone may have been trying to scam you into buying "betta water" or fancy filters or something.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

ALWAYS use a conditioner. I prefer API Stress Coat, it's the best IMO.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #5 
Omega3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Dechlorinator is not bad for fish. Someone may have been trying to scam you into buying "betta water" or fancy filters or something.
Your fish is gorgeous! Also, she made no mention of betta water. She said go get bottled spring water becuase you can just drop the fish in it (regarding contaminants,obviously the temperature should be corrected first) and it would be fine and is better than adding even more chemicals to tap water. My sister did this and has an awesomely healthy fish. Of course, she bought him that way, which may have affected his reaction.
Omega3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

I used Deer Park spring water for 2 bettas for about 5 month. The bettas were fine but when i went to fish guy he told me like OLDFISHLADY say that fish don't get enough of minerals and it will shorten their life length.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #7 
BettasForever

Eep.. I tried to go the natural way too. That got a little expensive, especially because I was using Zephyrhills. I got Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner and it's instant so he doesn't have to stay in that cup forever. Totally recommended that product if your water filter idea doesn't work.
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

I have 8 bettas and some of them 2.5-2.7 y old and a few of them i bought 04/10 i always used AmQuel+plus bu Kordon removes Nitrate,nitrite,ammonis,Chloramines,&Chlorine. I put drops and let water stay for about 8-24 hrs. It works just fine . Well it not necessary for the water to stay i just learn that way. My friends using the same conditioner without water stay and it just working fine. Bettas are healthy :)

Last edited by ANHEL123; 02-04-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

Sorry every one i want to take my words back. I completely forget that 2 bettas that i used Deer Park spring water for 5 months and i stopped because fish guy told me,but i still use 30% of the spring water.I take care of them once a wk because they in the office i work on saturdays so i just change 100% every wk and and i use 30% of spring water. Bettas are pretty old. I also know one girl who has 2 bettas in 10 gall tank she using Deer Park spring water since we bought her bettas. They are about approx. 14 months. I completely forget about it because she moved out of my state 8 mo ago. I just spoke to her. And i remember that fish guy told me that spring water has less minerals that is why actually i started to use only 30% spring water on my bettas in the office.

I had to write it because i didn't want people who using spring water for their bettas get all upset base on what we wrote about it.

I guess i have to play the OMEGA3 game ,,wish granted,, Think before u say something or writhe something. :)