Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #1 
Roos

Compatiability Failure :p

Oi! So I got a Betta a little while ago, and named him LB (Little Buddy). Bought him a 10g tank, and wanted some tank mates with him. So I did some research and decided on getting some tetra's, and ended up with Silver Tip Tetra's as a spontaneous buy. I didn't do any research or anything on that particular species, and I probably bought a few two many (8, though currently 6 have survived so far). Did my research once I got home and everything looked great! They were supposed to be fairly mild mannered, friendly fish. WRONG!! They're constantly chasing each other, nipping fins, and two of them seem to bully the rest around!! Though yesterday I noticed the biggest one had part of his tail missing, serves the bully right!! Any way they leave LB alone for the most part, but every few days or so I noticed LB's tail and Dorsal fin seem a little more ragged and a little less healthy. And lately he's been not quite flaring (no gills, but the fins are spread) all the time. He's pretty agitated, I'm hoping its not the move (I just moved into my girlfriends place last weekend, so the heat has been a little unstable) stressing him out.

Any way, for those that that are thinking of Silver Tip Tetra's as tank mates. DON"T do it!! I've been having nightmares with mine. I want to keep them, but at the same time I need to get them out of my 10g with the Betta. I have a 65g tank in storage right now, but I still need a light, a new canopy and a heater before I can put fish in it.

Any one have any cheap ideas?? I definitely want to get some cory's (just 3) for LB, but then the question is what do I do with the Tetra's, short of giving them away or flushing them?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 02-09-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

definitely don't flush them, that would be cruel to the fish. I would try to return them to the petstore, some petstores will take them back, even if they wont refund money. You could also get a cheap 5 gallon for them, I believe I seen somewhere on this forum that there's a place that has one for 14.99.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #3 
Roos

Aye, I'll look on kijiji later tonight, see if I can't find a good 5-7g setup for LB. If I give him a 5-7g tank, I wouldn't really be able to give him any tank mates, eh??
Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #4 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Roos,

Hi, nice to meet cha! Hope you're enjoying the forum. :)

Let's see what we can do to help your little betta buddy.

First, I'd QT (Quarentine Treatment) your betta so he can heal and reduce his stress:

'float' your betta in a container, taped to the side of the tank (so the tank heater will heat the QT water). PM oldfishlady; she can tell you what treatments will be helpful while he is in QT. You'll need to answer as many of these questions as you can, so she can help you:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Silver Tip Tetras: Try to re-home them. You can put them up on Craig's list or check with your local fish stores for other re-homing ideas. Remember, they didn't chose your aquarium to inhabit; you chose them. Don't 'flush them' just because they're inconveinent.

Once you get them nippy critters re-homed, you might consider cory cats... but do your research, or you might trade one problem for another...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #5 
Roos

Aye!! I wanted cory cats when I bought the Silver Tips, but within a day their selection had dropped to almost nothing. The Silver Tips were a spontaneous buy :p I really like them, which is why I dun really know what to do :p I need to get em out, but until I get another tank for my Betta (I hardly doubt a 5-7g would fit 6 of these guys :p) I'll have to QT him I guess :p I never thought of that actually, thanks!!

Do you think if I split my 10g into thirds, there would be enough room for the 6 tetras if they had 6.5g?? They range from about 3/4" to 1 1/8".
Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #6 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I think the split 10gallon might work too, if the sight and smell of the tetras doesn't continue to freak out your betta (the dividers need to be 'flow through', so heat and filteration tank-wide can occur).

But for now, I'd still QT the betta so he can get healed and unstressed...
Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #7 
Roos

Sweet, thanks! How would you recommend going about that?? this is my first tank, so I'm a little clueless as to methods of these things :p
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #8 
Abby

smaller container, floating in the bigger tank (tape it so it stays in place and floating) and get LB into that gently make sure he has a bit of room to move though PM Oldfishlady shes amazing
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #9 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Roos,

"Sweet, thanks! How would you recommend going about that?? this is my first tank, so I'm a little clueless as to methods of these things :p"

There is a current thread on dividing tanks - http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=divided+tanks

I haven't yet divided my five gallon tank, but this is where I go to get ideas and get questions answered on that subject. Enjoy! :D