Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #1 
derpmeister

Unhappy Torn tail woes...

I've had my betta for about 2 months now, and ever since a few days after I got him his tail just keeps ripping. It will rip, heal, and then be shredded the next time I look at him. I don't think it's fin rot because it keeps growing back but then will tear again and there is no discoloration. There are only silk plants in his tank, the filter is baffled, and the intake is covered with pantyhose. They don't look like bites but more like tears, and sometimes they look shredded. I don't know what could be damaging it.

He's in a 10 gallon tank to himself, heated to 80 degrees and gets daily 20% water changes. I add stress coat and salt every now and then to prevent infection. He's extremely active and eats very well. I'm starting to think he could be blowing his tail from too much swimming--- he's a super delta tail and has a very big and delicate tail.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can he have a healthy life with a constantly ripped up tail?
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #2 
derpmeister

It turns out I have a serious tailbiter. Today he is missing half his tail and he continues to chase it and try to take out more. How upsetting, it was so big and beautiful when I first got him. But at least now I know what's going on.
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #3 
andrearamirezo91

hey! i just bought a betta and some other fish at the store ripped half his tail off!! i wanted to know what you did to help your fish, and how long it took for his tail to heal completely! plz help :(
andrearamirezo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #4 
turtle10

@andrea I suggest starting your own thread as too not confuse people trying to help the OP, plus you'll get more answers :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #5 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
@Derp
Hun i have the exact same problem with one of my bettas sam... There honestly isnt much you can do, Espically! if you have him in a 10g tank unless there is something in there stressing him out i.e strong filter, not being fed enough or maybe your ammonia or nitrite lvls are to high, if all those things are fine then he could just have the bad habbit ( some bettas do and mine has it)I agree its soo upsetting to see a long flowy tail become a shredded mess but honestly you seem to be doing everything you can. Hope he kicks this habbit soon :(
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #6 
Luimeril

tailbiting's a pain. :/ best way to curb it, is to find out if it's stress, or boredom that's causing him to bite it. for my Delta, Dante, it's boredom. i cure that, by trying to make things interesting for him when i'm not able to stay in my room all day(he wants me to be a hermit. xD)
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #7 
vilmarisv

If you leave your tank light on too often the fish might think there's another male with him and get agressive. I don't let my fishies see their reflexion but few minutes a day under supervision.
Unfortunatelly, once a fish starts tailbitting is likely he will continue.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote