Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #1 
JetTiger

Male Betta Introduced to 10 Gallon Tank Community

Hello all,

I was hoping to get an opinion of someone more experienced than I in fish-keeping. I have had my current 10 gallon tank established since mid January of this year (I had fish originally in a 5 gallon, which cracked, so I upgraded to a 10 gallon). It has a community of White Cloud Minnows, Zebra Dainos, Pygmy Cory Catfish, Ghost Shrimp, and until about two weeks ago, 8 Neon Tetras (which all died overnight of an unknown cause).

I had a Betta which I kept in a small bowl on my desk, but he grew and I decided it was time to introduce him to a more comfortable habitat. My question is, has anyone had any problems keeping a male Betta with Zebra Dainos in a 10 gallon tank? The Betta is much larger than the Dainos, but I'm still concerned about the Dainos nipping at his fins.
JetTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

How many of each fish do you have? It sounds like you're already overstocked, I wouldn't add any more fish.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #3 
JetTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
How many of each fish do you have? It sounds like you're already overstocked, I wouldn't add any more fish.
I currently have:

5 Zebra Dainos
9 White Cloud Minnows
1 Pygmy Cory Catfish
2 Ghost Shrimp

and now the Betta.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #4 
Alex09

Thats alot of fish. Your neons probably died from ammonia poisoning. I wouldnt suggest putting a betta in there. In such crowded conditions, something bad is bound to happen.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #5 
JetTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Thats alot of fish. Your neons probably died from ammonia poisoning. I wouldnt suggest putting a betta in there. In such crowded conditions, something bad is bound to happen.
I had my water tested immediately after my Neons died at two separate fish stores: at both places the ammonia level was exactly zero, as were all other levels. The PH is slightly above 7, but I expected that from tap water (which I of course treated for chlorine).

I'm more concerned with my Betta's ability to coexist with his new tank-mates. So far, he seems to be chasing them around more than anything, which is about the opposite of what I expected.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #6 
bettafish15

If your using strips, they are very inaccurate. Use a good liquid test kit, like API Master Test Kit. Anything else just isnt reliable, especially the strips :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #7 
JetTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
If your using strips, they are very inaccurate. Use a good liquid test kit, like API Master Test Kit. Anything else just isnt reliable, especially the strips :)
They did use the liquid test, at both places (I don't remember the brand).
Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #8 
bettafish15

It's just that with that amount of fish in that tank, I think its impossible for everything to be at 0. ;)
Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #9 
Sweeda88

That's too many fish already. Get the Betta a small tank of about 2.5 gallons of his own. Make sure you get a heater. 78* F is best for Betta fish.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #10 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
That's too many fish already. Get the Betta a small tank of about 2.5 gallons of his own. Make sure you get a heater. 78* F is best for Betta fish.
Or bigger than 2.5 gallons :D The temp should be 78-83F ;D