Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #1 
c4talys7

Question Treatment for a tail biter? Help?

I didn't want to post this on the emergencies or diseases thread because it's not really one. My boyfriend caught my fish biting his tail while I was out at the store. This is the first time he has done it and it's pretty shredded.

I have never delt with this before so any ideas on what I should do? He is still an active Betta, could it be that he's bored or something? I've had him for about a month and recently took him off a salt treatment (about 2 or 3 days ago) for ick. He's all over that now and eating well.

He is in a 1gal bin that I change with treated water everyday. This is a temporary bin until my divided 14gal is done cycling. I have another betta that will go in the other half. The water is at 76*F.

Should I give him another salt treatment for about 7days at 1/2teaspoon a gallon?
Help?

Last edited by c4talys7; 02-06-2011 at 09:00 PM.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #2 
c4talys7

Old 02-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #3 
Aluyasha

If it is indeed tail biting. He could be either stressed out or bored.
Some Bettas get depressed when their owners leave them for too long (like for work or school). While others get stressed out by seeing another Betta and start to attack themselves (like my Betta, Mandala). Also, I have heard of a few Bettas even biting their tails off so that they are not weighed down by them.
Did you mean you have used AQSalt since you have had him? Too much salt can harm a Betta in the long term, you should not use salt for more than 10 days at a time. (They should really say that on the carton, but they do not)
Just keep his water clean and move his decor around to keep him busy.
Good luck :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #4 
c4talys7

Yeah, I have him in AQ salt right now just so he doesn't get a secondary infection. He was a lot happier today and even started a bubble nest. I moved him to the top of my fridge (I live in a dorm the fridge is like 3ft tall and next to my bed) so he likes to look at the TV sometimes and see everyone.

Thanks for your response! I hope he doesn't make a habit of tail biting...
Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #5 
c4talys7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
If it is indeed tail biting. He could be either stressed out or bored.

Did you mean you have used AQSalt since you have had him? Too much salt can harm a Betta in the long term, you should not use salt for more than 10 days at a time. (They should really say that on the carton, but they do not)
Just keep his water clean and move his decor around to keep him busy.
Good luck :)
Oh and no, I only treated him with AQ salt and he ended his treatment 5 days ago. He had a mild case of Ick on his tail and I read a response from OFL that she uses AQ salt for a mild treatment as well. He was on it for about a week and I took him off it after I didn't see the Ick return for a few days. It also helped heal his tail from a rip that he had when I bought him.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #6 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4talys7 View Post
Yeah, I have him in AQ salt right now just so he doesn't get a secondary infection. He was a lot happier today and even started a bubble nest. I moved him to the top of my fridge (I live in a dorm the fridge is like 3ft tall and next to my bed) so he likes to look at the TV sometimes and see everyone.

Thanks for your response! I hope he doesn't make a habit of tail biting...
Some Bettas do become obsessive tail biters.
Though my Betta, Mandala, used to be a biter. He started when I put Melvin's tank next to him and he got so stressed out that he attacked himself. Once I removed what was stressing him out (Melvin), he still bit himself for a few days after and then stopped. Now his tail is finally growing back. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote