Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #1 
Iman

Some breeding questions

I read an article on conditioning bettas that females always have eggs. Is this true? Also I read that the only reason to condition bettas is so that they are happy and perky. I read that bettas from the pet store need at least 2 weeks of conditioning because of the extremely stressful conditions pet stores. Is this true? So what exactly am I going to do? I am planning on this:
1. Condition my bettas until Sunday or Monday. That is 6-7 days from today. (the last time the female had horizontal stripes was the morning.
2. Add the male on Sunday or Monday.
3. Add the female on Wednesday or Tuesday.
4. Hopefully the breeding will be successful.

I am just worried the breeding will not be successful...
Iman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

It's VERY possible that it won't be successful.
The purpose of conditioning the fish is to ensure they are healthy and strong enough to endure the mating. It takes a lot of energy from the pair, plus you won't be feeding the male until the fry is free-swiming (some people will feed the male).
Six days is NOT enough time to condition your pair unless you keep them in a high protein diet all the time and boost it up for those 6 days.
I cannot stress enough that there's a lot of expense and time involved in breeding and it should be a well planned thing.
This is a great website for betta information. Read ALL the sections, including genetics, BEFORE you make a decision http://bettysplendens.com
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Conditioning needs to be 2 weeks for sure. They need to stock up on things they'll need during the breeding process, among other reasons. You do have homes for the babies, dont you? And foods ready for the fry? Three tanks, one for male, one for female, one for spawning? I'd go to the above mentioned link, for sure ;D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #4 
Emmalea

You should not breed pet store fish, you have no idea about their genetic background or of any faults they might have. They are also low quality fish that do not need to reproduce. There is also no market for them and you will have a hard time giving them away let alone selling them, unless you are ok with them going as feeder fish.
If you had fish that should be bred I would say at least ten days for conditioning so you can be sure they are ready, this will greatly reduce the risk of injury to them.
Please reconsider breeding them as there already tons of pet quality fish rotting in pet stores, I you really feel a need to breed Betta's please do your research well and buy a good quality pair of fish.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #5 
Panthera

Most females usually have at least some eggs, but feeding them a high protein diet such as Blood worms or other types of frozen/live food helps them make a lot more. Conditioning is vital so that both male and female are at their best when put together. For the female this is so she can take the stress of breeding, and put up with the male chasing and nipping her. For the male its so he can both get in the mood to breed, build a bubblenest, and have enough energy to raise the eggs and fry when they hatch.

A week should be fine, but 2 weeks would be better. Also I know people have different ways of adding the male and female, but I put the male in the tank first. Then 15 minutes later put the female in a vase inside the tank until the males bubblenest is big enough. Usually 1-2 days. Then I release the female. Hopefully it all goes well, just make sure you really know what your getting yourself into, and keep researching.

Edit: I see no reason why breeding petstore fish is wrong. If the breeder can find homes for the fry, why not breed quality stock from a Petstore? Now, yes people recommend not to breed VT's because they aren't in demand, but if you get a Delta, CT or HM from a petstore I see no reason why they can't be bred. Especially for first time breeders. Why spend $50 on an aquabid pair if the person might never breed again?

Last edited by Panthera; 02-07-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like you may be in too big of a hurry....this can't be rushed and still have a successful spawn and healthy eggs and fry.....

Yes, an adult female will have un-ripe eggs all the time and she will either absorb, drop and eat or drop and leave the eggs on a regular basis

Once the female senses the male her eggs will ripen

You condition-for the female- so she will have healthy eggs as well as energy for her to spawn
The male- healthy milt, for energy to spawn and tend to eggs/fry
Proper conditioning help build a strong immune response

Healthy well fed and conditioned breeders are more willing to breed/spawn-weak breeder can be hard to spawn, weak eggs, cause the male to eat the eggs because now he needs the energy to survive because he just spent it spawning

Don't over estimate the power of conditioning breeders...this can't be rushed and when you try to rush this stage it often ends in disappointment......if not failure to spawn-it can be weak eggs/fry that will not develop or have deformities, health problems in the fry, lots of fallers etc... breeders that end up stressed and sick or dead.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #7 
Emmalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post

Edit: I see no reason why breeding petstore fish is wrong. If the breeder can find homes for the fry, why not breed quality stock from a Petstore? Now, yes people recommend not to breed VT's because they aren't in demand, but if you get a Delta, CT or HM from a petstore I see no reason why they can't be bred. Especially for first time breeders. Why spend $50 on an aquabid pair if the person might never breed again?
I don't believe that anything you buy from a petstore going to be good enough quality to breed, HMs included. Some of them are pretty fish but IMO should only be used as pets and not breeding stock. The reason I say this is because are mass produced and not carefully bred to have good fins, form, etc.
The chances of getting good homes for them all is slim like I said before.
I really see no point in people breeding just for the sake of having baby fish. Breeding stock should be carefully selected with a breeding goal in mind and in hopes of improving quality.
And if you look and all the costs of properly setting up for breeding $50 for a good pair of fish is nothing.

If you want to do something you should do it well.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I am of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with breeding pet shop fish of any species, although IBC members will disagree...... Even high dollar aquabid or even fish from breeders can still give you poor quality offspring and unknown genetic just as a pet shop fish can give you-sometimes you will not know anymore about their genetic makeup than the pet shop Betta....however, with pet shop fish can be more of a mystery as far as genetic goes....you can end up with just about anything-but you can with aquabid fish too.......

If you want to show fish-you should join the IBC, get a mentor and get the best breeders you can afford....

If you just want to move into a different aspect of the hobby and bred/spawn fish...be respectful and responsible, have a plan and do your research.......

It can be fun and exciting discovering what is hidden in the genetic makeup....you never know what you will find......and you may also find that more people want the unique fish as their special wet-pet with no interest in showing.....

Good show fish don't always make good breeders just as good breeders don't make good show fish.....

This is just my opinion based on my experiences.....
Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

I will say that I HAVE seen some quality fish come from petcos. Its no secret I don't think breeding VT is a good idea unless one does HEAVY culling (and by heavy I mean the best 4 or 5 out of a spawn at most.. culling.. not adopting) just because there are so many and that is just creating more with needed homes. However, with other tail types if you know what your doing and you know a general idea of what you'll get from the fry I see no problem in choosing stock from petstores.

It goes without saying that if your choosing a fish from unknown background that you must be prepared for heavy culling.

As for the OP... I agree with OFL completely. I've found that proper conditioning is even MORE important than how you set up the spawning situation.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Good point 1fish, I failed to mention that....culling....so true...and if you can't bring yourself to cull(kill) then you don't need to be breeding fish....this is the ugly truth...facts......and it goes along with breeding any species of fish....it is not only wrong but cruel to allow deformed fish to live as well as poor quality offspring...this is when having a tank full of cichlid comes in handy......