Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #21 
thestompa

Anyone can paste here about shallow method? or pictures about how to setup this method. Thank you.
thestompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #22 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Read the breeding section on bettysplenden.com. if you're still confused, ask again - a more specific question.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #23 
thestompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Read the breeding section on bettysplenden.com. if you're still confused, ask again - a more specific question.
I just read the method from bettysplenden.com. I also got read people using bucket method or using tupperware. That method is simple.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #24 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestompa View Post
I just read the method from bettysplenden.com. I also got read people using bucket method or using tupperware. That method is simple.
It LOOKS simple but you need to understand betta mating behavior to know when they can go together in the tub or the fish will harm eachother.

What are you planning to feed the fry?
Do you have a heater and a sponge filter for the breeding tank?
You'll need a grow-out tank for all those fry!

I don't want to discourage you from breeding, I would like you to get yourself a bit more prepared first. You are not even using conditioner in your water, that tells me you don't understand even basic betta care PLUS you fish is probably not healthy enough for a successful spawning.

You want to give your breeders and fry the best conditions possible or you'll be dissapointed when either the male and female hack eachother to pieces or your fry dies.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #25 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestompa View Post
Before you decide which method to use, you must consider that betta's are fighting fish. If the breeding pair isn't compatible they will fight ... the male will attack the female. Since this is your first attempt, I suggest you use larger containers whether glass tanks or plastic tubs. Thus the female have more room to run and hide. I would not suggest small containers (the thai way). IMO to successfully breed the Thai way you need to understand their characters or the female may be badly hurt.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #26 
thestompa

Thanks guys, I already got the conditioner. It is anti-chlorine right?. I still not started breeding yet. I just wanted to know more information from you guys about breeding. After i got the proper equipment i will started breeding.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #27 
thestompa

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
It LOOKS simple but you need to understand betta mating behavior to know when they can go together in the tub or the fish will harm eachother.

What are you planning to feed the fry?
Do you have a heater and a sponge filter for the breeding tank?
You'll need a grow-out tank for all those fry!

I don't want to discourage you from breeding, I would like you to get yourself a bit more prepared first. You are not even using conditioner in your water, that tells me you don't understand even basic betta care PLUS you fish is probably not healthy enough for a successful spawning.

You want to give your breeders and fry the best conditions possible or you'll be dissapointed when either the male and female hack eachother to pieces or your fry dies.
Thanks for the advice.

What are you planning to feed the fry? - I think i going to make microworms or infusoria soon after i got proper equipment.
Do you have a heater and a sponge filter for the breeding tank? - still not have heater and sponge filter. Can you give me the picture of aquarium heater or other way to heat the tank. Is sponge filter necessary?

I already use water conditioner now.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #28 
jschristian44

Here is a heater for a breeding tank, and even larger tanks if you want. Set the temperature on it to about 84.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Submersible-Aquarium-Heater/dp/B0006JLPFY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1297178240&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: Hydor THEO Submersible Aquarium Heater 150W UL: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

The sponge filter is needed, because your fry need extremely clean water in order to survive. They also can't have a lot of water movement, which is why sponge filters work great.

This is the setup I have and it works excellent.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-Fusion-Aquarium/dp/B0018CFMUW/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1297178387&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: JW Pet Company Fusion Air Pump 200 Aquarium Air Pump: Home & Garden[/ame]

and

Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air Pump - eBay (item 310271100226 end time Feb-13-11 00:12:17 PST)

This is basically what I have and it works excellent. The sponge filter each can be removed so you have good bacteria on one, while you rinse the other one off, so your tank stays cycled. That air pump is almost silent as well, it works great. As for water conditioner, good that you use it. May I also recommend indian almond leaves if your breeding. They induce spawning, and they are great bubble nest makers. My male builds his bubble nest under them all the time, he won't anywhere else. Good luck.

If you need help with them mating, ask someone else. I had trouble with mine, because I didn't condition them or introduce them properly. This is a must if you want them to spawn. As for betta care and stuff, I am pretty good with that. I might also recommend this siphon for changing your water. It makes it a breeze.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/biOrb-822728000250-Cleaner-Pump/dp/B000KHZ0X0/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1297178665&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: biOrb Cleaner Pump: Home & Garden[/ame]

Just don't suck up gravel with it, I did and it broke. I bought one on eBay which is basically the same thing.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #29 
Panthera

If you have no budget, why in the world are you breeding bettas? Do you have cultures to feed them, bbs, microworms, etc? Do you have over 100 jars/containers for each of the male fry when they get to the age and need to be separated? And also do you have homes ready for them and places for the fry to go when they reach the selling age?

If you answer no to any of those questions. Research more, don't breed.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #30 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
If you have no budget, why in the world are you breeding bettas? Do you have cultures to feed them, bbs, microworms, etc? Do you have over 100 jars/containers for each of the male fry when they get to the age and need to be separated? And also do you have homes ready for them and places for the fry to go when they reach the selling age?

If you answer no to any of those questions. Research more, don't breed.
+1
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halfmoon bettas breeding