Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #1 
Marona

Uuugh. I feel terrible...

So my planted, divided 5gal has been doing amazing. Every thing was going great. I used a turkey baster and cleaned the gravel, and then filled it back up.

I filled it too close to the top of the divider. :( My more aggressive male jumped over it while I was at work. UGH. Both are ok, I think the fact that my red male is very gentle and easy-going is why he survived.

Don't worry about the divider issue, I have a piece of Styrofoam that covers it when I have the lid closed, now.

My main concern is healing my red's fins fast. They're torn, but definitely not beyond repair. Should I QT him? I don't really have the spare tank for it. Unless I switch out my third male in his smaller tank with him.

I've read around that salt is helpful for fin growth? Is there anything else? I hate seeing him all torn up. But he's still got his adorable personality and doesn't seem worse for wear.

I've learned a lot from this experience. :C And I'm definitely happy it turned out better then it could have.

Also is there any way to tell if a male is young? It's so strange that my red male doesn't blow bubble nests, didn't seem to attack my other male back (who came out of it without a scratch) and is just generally laid back. He does have a small bit of clear possible fin growth at the end of his fins. But I'm not sure if that's just that his fins have a very fine clear edge...

Sorry this turned into a few questions.
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #2 
kfish

Unless the damage is crazy severe, he'll probably be fine as long as you're maintaining good water quality.

I have no idea how to tell if a betta is young, but some bettas just don't build bubble nests, or need encouragement to (like leaves that grow out of the water and form a little cavity perfect for holding bubbles - Mr. Fish loves his anubias for bubble nests!).
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #3 
Marona

Alright then. :/ Thanks for the quick response. He hardly seems affected by the ordeal at all.
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote