Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Water Changes

I have a 2 gallon tank, how often should I perform 1/2 to full water changes?
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #2 
demonr6

At the office with my 3g I perform a 50%'ish water change twice weekly. I also have a filter running too but the tank is really not that dirty. I check the water quality a few times a week to be sure nothing is horribly off too. When I had a 1.5 it was every other day. I am pretty sure others will tell you 2x/wk if not every other day. Do you have a filter in your tank?
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

In a 2g filtered tank-twice weekly 50% water changes should maintain water quality-1-50% water only and 1-50% that includes substrate cleaning with a vacuum or stir and dip method

On a 2gal without a filter-twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100%
Unless you have live actively growing plants and then 50% twice weekly should maintain water quality.

Water changes should also be made anytime you see a behavior change in the fish to rule out water quality as the cause.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 AM   #4 
BlackberryBetta

Ok so I will probably make a 50% today. So I have a question, my tank is supposedly a 2 gallon. But there is a fill line! I didn't measure the water before I put it in because of the fill line. Would there still be 2 gallons in there?
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #5 
demonr6

I am not sure how they calculate the total volume but just think of this, if you have gravel and decorations i.e. anything that displaces volume then your total volume is decreased. Does that make sense? If your two gallons means filling it right to the rim but you keep a two inch safety net so Mr. Betta does not go for a jump then you already are below two gallons. Now tack on two inches of gravel and so on..
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote