Originally Posted by soichiro View Post
Yes, Prime as in that.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #22 
soichiro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Most live plants die on me and require high lighting... BUT...

Java ferns FTW! They can survive in almost anything!
Anubias! Similar to java ferns.
Marimo balls, and absolute must because they are awesome.
I don't reccomend anarchis because my expirience was they rot and shed insanely.
I haven't owned hornwort which some people reccomend, but I hear it sheds alot.
Swords! I own some and they are easy enough.

Those are some low lighting low care plants I've heard of/own. They'll speed up your cycling for sure.

well i just finished cleaning the tank. i got a gravel cleaner and i bought Prime for the conditioner. I hope this works. I will do it again in a couple of days so i can do it twice a week as you guys stated.

Soichiro seems to be happier already. I did the gravel pump twice because after filling up the tank i noticed it needed to be done again and as i did it Soichiro was following the pump and swimming in circles (not in a stressed or scared manner) and i just finished putting everything back in the tank. he is still somewhat chilling on the bottom of the tank but he is moving more (which is an improvement).

Now baylee767 talked a little bit about using live plants to help/speed up the cycling and when i was at Petco i found some Swords and ferns but not the Java fern and then I noticed that there are pellets or something along those lines for plant food. do the plants baylee767 listed need that stuff or can i just put them in and call it good? Haha I am just full of questions I just want my Betta to live a happy and comfortable life.
soichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #23 
kfish

We're glad of the questions! :)

With Amazon swords and Java ferns (java ferns are called tropica ferns at the pet store - that might be what you saw) you don't need fertilizers. They're generally very low maintenance, low light plants. Anubias is the same way. Just take care not to bury the rhizome of any of these plants (the part all the roots come off of) in the substrate. Java ferns and anubias like to attach to stuff, not be buried. They absorb light through the rhizome, so it needs to be exposed. You can tie them onto stuff in your tank with thread, or stick some gravel between the leaves to keep them on the bottom while the roots attach.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #24 
soichiro

Ok cool maybe I will go back to petco tonight or just wait till tomorrow.

Is there a plant that is more popular/favored?

Also for a 10 gal tank what size should I get because petco has 3 plant sizes
soichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #25 
kfish

The most popular beginners' plants are java fern (aka tropica fern), java moss, anubias, crypts, amazon sword, wisteria, hornwort. Some of the plants at Petsmart and Petco are not truly aquatic, so be careful.

You definitely can't go wrong with java fern and anubias. Very easy plants and both are rated as low light plants.