Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #11 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

oldladyfish:

Update: Day Three

Baby Blue is bravely tolerating her 'in tank isolation QT' (epsom salt/tannin).

The first day I put her in it, she didn't move, except to come up to the surface for a breath a few times an hour. She adjusted; she doesn't attempt to move much but she knows she's confined. She's eliminating and eating normally.

During her 100% water change tonight, I shone a light on BB in the tannin murk... neither pupil seems to be reacting to light. I will put her in clear water tomorrow, so I can get a better look at her - then, back into the QT she will go.

The corys are having a field day, making the most of BB's confinement! The loach has been loaching around, as usual.

BTW, I finally found sand for my loach - Carbisea's Instant Aquarium Freshwater Sand. They make an extremely fine grained sand which will be great for her. I'm really excited to have found it.

When I bought Laurina, she was a lone loach. Once the corys and the loach are rehomed to a larger tank, I'll check with the aquarium shop where I got her. Maybe they can get a few more from their supplier, so she won't have to be a lone loach anymore :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #12 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Popeye Update:

BB has a couple more days in the tannin/epsom salts. She's eating and eliminating regularly, and she is seeing the pellets now (even though the water is dark with tannins - she couldn't see at first).

When her QT is up, I am putting her is a 1 gallon jar and then putting the jar into the 5 gallons aquarium. That way, she won't be impacted by the water of the tank, but still be heated.

Once the cory cats and loach move to the 20H, into the 5 gallon(split) she will go.

One thing I have noticed about BB is she has slimmed down since QT, because she isn't stealing the bottom feeder's food anymore. And the cory cats are happier with her gone. The loach doesn't seem to care one way or another, lol. She does her own loachy 'thing'.

20H is starting to cycle, yay!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear she is getting better...and so true they can get themselves in trouble over-eating food for other species...yet another challenge they give us...feeding in mixed species tanks...lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #14 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I've tried feeding her first but that didn't seem to blunt her ravenous, cavernous appettite!

Soon she'll be own her own, and she'll stay trim. :)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #15 
FuulieQ

What I do to feed Robert is distract him with pellets while I drop the otos' food in. He's really ADHD, so it seems to work really well, it's like he doesn't even see what's going on at the other end of the tank. :P And it's only a five gallon, haha.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #16 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

FuulieQ,

You are sooooo lucky! My betta doesn't miss a thing, and she has a memory that rivals my cat, lol! Maybe even better.

PS: Robert's very pretty, btw...
Old 02-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #17 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Good News!

Moved BB into a seperate vase within the 5 gallon (from her QT). She got all new fresh clear (conditioned) water today.

I can't believe it, but her eyes are both clear, the irises are normal colored. No sign of cloudiness! When I shine a flashlight on either eye she turns away from it. I think she has recovered as close to 100% as possible. HOORAY!

BB is going to stay in isolation for now. Once the cory cats and loach have moved to the 20H, the whole tank is going to be cleaned & partitioned. And she can continue her bizarre love affair with the filter intake cage

TY oldfishlady!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Awesome...great the hear she is better...good job....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote