Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #1 
eengland

Talking First time betta owner

I have been wanting a betta for quite some time and after months of research, I've finally decided to get one. I am really excited for him to arrive but also a little nervous. I have a little aquarium for now. Just to start off for a month or two.

Any tips. My main worry is water change.
eengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #2 
turtle10

How big is your aquarium and why are you worried about the water changes?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 
kfish

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

Read this thread to start! :) It fails to mention care for tanks smaller than 2 gallons, which DO need 100% changes, as cycling is not stable in tanks smaller than 5 gallons.

How big is your aquarium?

Here are a few example sizes and good water change schedules:
**1 gallon - 100% change every other day.
**2-2.5 gallon - 100% change once a week, 50% change mid-week.
**5 gallon with filter - 50% change three times a week until cycled (need a test kit to determine this!). 50% change once a week after that (gravel vacuum once a week always).

Make sure any water added to a fish tank is conditioned. Prime is a good, cost-effective water conditioner (2 drops per gallon!).
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

Read this thread to start! :) It fails to mention care for tanks smaller than 2 gallons, which DO need 100% changes, as cycling is not stable in tanks smaller than 5 gallons.

How big is your aquarium?

Here are a few example sizes and good water change schedules:
**1 gallon - 100% change every other day.
**2-2.5 gallon - 100% change once a week, 50% change mid-week.
**5 gallon with filter - 50% change three times a week until cycled (need a test kit to determine this!). 50% change once a week after that (gravel vacuum once a week always).

Make sure any water added to a fish tank is conditioned. Prime is a good, cost-effective water conditioner (2 drops per gallon!).
+1
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #5 
eengland

My tank is only a gallon for now. I am looking at buy a 5 gallon tank. I went ahead a bought a heater and thermometer for the little tank so I could keep him comfy for the first month.

I hadn't had much experience with fish but I have always love them. What little experience I had came from my brother fish tank when I was much younger. He had it for a while and he did a water change and something went wrong and the fish died. I was somewhat helping him. I think the fish either went into shock or he forgot the water conditioner.

The aquarium came with conditioner and food flakes but I saw that most people recommend the pellets and something like bloodworms. So I went ahead and bought those. I hope I am not forgetting something. :) I am extremely excited. Cycling a tank is only for tanks with filters, correct?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #6 
kfish

Yes, cycling is only for tanks with filters that are 5 gallons or larger. Really cuts down on maintenance!

I don't think you're forgetting anything. :) Great job.

Prime is a good water conditioner- you only need 2 drops per gallon and the small bottles are like $3.50 at Petsmart/Petco. Just for when you run out of your sample.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #7 
eengland

I will look into Prime the next time I head to the petstore. I am pricing and researching a bigger aquarium. Plus, I have to return the thermometer I bought. The top broke the moment I open the package. :( I went ahead and bought another bottle of conditioner cause I figured the little wouldn't last long. The one I chose is Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus. It is for smaller aquariums. Are their products okay?

Your betta is beautiful! :)
Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #8 
kfish

I think Aqueon is fine! That's the brand of pellets I feed to Mr. Fish. :)

Wal-Mart has some cheap 5 gallon kits if you're okay with buying online... they're usually not in store.

Thank you! He's a Wal-Mart rescue. :) You should make an album for your dog (even though this is a betta forum). I love looking at albums of other pets. XD
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #9 
eengland

I need to make one. I actually have 3 dogs but I way too many photos on my phone. I need to upload them so I can make an album. I no photos of my beagle on my computer. My dogs keep me broke and happy. :) I am also taking care of my niece's snake.

I will definitely look at walmart's website. I forget to look at them sometimes because in store they do not always offer much when it comes to fish and reptiles.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #10 
kfish

I meant to post some links for you of some (low price!) tanks that are tried and true that people on the forum have, but school work got the best of me!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr ... This is the one I have, it goes in and out of stock CONSTANTLY, so if you decide you want it, definitely get it while you can! Today I think is the first day it's been in stock in two weeks or so. It's plastic, whereas the first link is glass.

For either of these, you're going to need something to baffle the filter with. I use aquarium filter sponge. It's pretty cheap and you can just rubberband it around the outtake.