Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #1 
bensington

44 gallon tank what mates can my betta have?

Hi all im new here and new to having betta fish. I have my betta in a 44 gallon tank with lots of hiding places. I want more fish in it so any ideas who will live with my boy? thanks all
bensington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #2 
ChicagoPete

Holy cow thas some serious betta mansion ha welcome to the site and hope to see some pics!!
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #3 
bensington

Haha thanks for the welcome. Yes I got my boyfriend to get me the 44 gallon tank for alun (my betta) but by looking here I wonder if he would be happier in a smaller tank? I will post pics when he stops moving long enough to take one lol.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #4 
shinybetta

Hatchetfish, corydoras, tetras, plecos, exotic catfish (go to planetcatfish.com for ideas), rasboras, minnows, guppies, platys, endlers, kuhli loaches, yoyo loaches(maybe), shrimp. There are a lot more but that is all I could think of now.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #5 
scootshoot

Pics please
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #6 
Marona

Definitely can't get 'too big' of a tank for a betta. Just the fact that he won't sit still is a good sign! :) There should be a list here of compatible bettas. And with that size of tank you have a wide selection.
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 AM   #7 
bensington

thanks all i went out yesterday and got a small tank as i got the fish as a job lot and im sure most should not be together. But so far all of them seem calm and have not seen any fighting but he is in with a girl betta and other fish but he seems to have his little place in the tank and doesnt bother the others. So i was just looking to see if people think i should take him out or not?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #8 
shinybetta

Take him out. Male and female bettas shouldn't be kept together.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #9 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensington View Post
thanks all i went out yesterday and got a small tank as i got the fish as a job lot and im sure most should not be together. But so far all of them seem calm and have not seen any fighting but he is in with a girl betta and other fish but he seems to have his little place in the tank and doesnt bother the others. So i was just looking to see if people think i should take him out or not?
I have heard of rare cases where female / male betta has co-existed in large tanks. While it's not recommended, you are the owner so the risk is yours, I would watch them like a Hawk. Particularly when they happen to run into one another.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #10 
cjayBetta

In a big enough tank Im sure the Male and Female would be fine... Ive seen lots of videos in which male and female betta's co exists in perfect harmony... I would say just to keep an eye on them and make sure there is no fighting.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote