Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #1 
turtle10

Question Which female is best? (PICS)

Hey guys so I was just wondering which one of these girls has the best fins/fin shape. The lighter one's fins are usually a darker red, but she got stressed for the photo.

turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

I'd pick the first one. The rays in the second fish look much more uneven, which could pass on to the fry if you plan to breed.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #3 
turtle10

Yes I was planning on breeding one of these to Bellino (avatar pic). You are right though, the fins are uneven.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Yes I was planning on breeding one of these to Bellino (avatar pic). You are right though, the fins are uneven.
Your avatar is a chihuahua XD I know you meant the avatar on your profile :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #5 
turtle10

Oh, oops! Not sure how I would go about introducing them LOL! Haha yes Bellino is a Marble Halfmoon Doubletail, he was born around October I think.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

Well, here's what I think...
You girls are petstore betttas, right?
It really doesn't matter how they look, you most probably will get an array of colors and fin types in your spawn... and I'm not talking about pretty fins
If you're spending so much money (yes, $50 will NOT get you ready) in breeding bettas, feeding fry, raising fry, finding homes... all of that... then, why not get a good quality pair and start off on the "right" track?
I was tempted to breed my beautiful petstore HM pastel betta from Petco when I got him... he was stunning but when I saw everything that I had to do to get myself ready to breed, there was no way I was going to breed petstore bettas.
Breeder quality bettas are really not that much more expensive than a Petco Halfmoon... just buy from breeders in the US!
I see you live in Austin... you might even find a breeder in your area where you can go and pick a pair. If I had growm up fish, I would offer. Check the chapters in the IBC, Aquabid, or ask people here... someone might be able to help you.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #7 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Well, here's what I think...
You girls are petstore betttas, right?
It really doesn't matter how they look, you most probably will get an array of colors and fin types in your spawn... and I'm not talking about pretty fins
If you're spending so much money (yes, $50 will NOT get you ready) in breeding bettas, feeding fry, raising fry, finding homes... all of that... then, why not get a good quality pair and start off on the "right" track?
I was tempted to breed my beautiful petstore HM pastel betta from Petco when I got him... he was stunning but when I saw everything that I had to do to get myself ready to breed, there was no way I was going to breed petstore bettas.
Breeder quality bettas are really not that much more expensive than a Petco Halfmoon... just buy from breeders in the US!
I see you live in Austin... you might even find a breeder in your area where you can go and pick a pair. If I had growm up fish, I would offer. Check the chapters in the IBC, Aquabid, or ask people here... someone might be able to help you.
You are right. I really want my bettas to find good homes so I am definitely willing to spend (more lol) money to make sure they are wanted.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #8 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
You are right. I really want my bettas to find good homes so I am definitely willing to spend (more lol) money to make sure they are wanted.
Take your time, decide what you want to accomplish with breeding...
It's so much fun finding that ideal betta and getting him/her home. I just got 4 new ones from my favorite breeder and I can't stop looking at them
Also, don't hessitate to contact people... if you see a fish that didn't sell in AB and REALLY want it, contact the seller. Most breeders have sibling females so also ask about them, study the pictures, ask us if you're not sure... make an informed decision, you're experience will be much better
Old 02-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #9 
turtle10

I was hoping to carry on the marble and doubletail genes. What do you think about these girls?

The first one is my favorite, because I LOVE the mustard gas color.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1297689335

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1297653003

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...sdt&1298083206

Is it just me, or does the bottom one's fins look a bit uneven in size?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #10 
vilmarisv

I like the first one best too... her anal is a bit too long for my taste, and her caudal could have a better spread but she has a wide dorsal, so it really depends on who you pair her with.
Yeah, the third one's caudal lobes are very uneven and she has a narrow dorsal for a DT. I do like her colors...
Are you looking for a girl specifically?? I'll PM you...