Long ago I created an entire thread that was many... many... pages long on plants before I got them. I know my lighting isn't a problem, I have CFL's with correct ratings, yes I have root tabs, and the anarchis some was ordered online, some at the lFS, and the ammonia was at .5 today (right before water change). So I know that these aren't a problem.
I'm not exactly sure what went wrong /= I've owned Anarchis before in an uncycled tank and it thrived. I guess it's just something about my tank. I think that if I continue live planted tank, it's definatly java ferns and anubias I'm sticking with this time! Plus I'm getting some more organic substrate this time, so the plants will get more nutrients.
I think any kind of grass I would get would die under the shadows of a planted tank with taller plants or even fake plants that are too tall lol. It looks so pretty the dwarf grass and all these beautiful plants, but for some reason... just IDK.
Maybe something is in the tank that I introduced when my dad put a bunch of anarchis in from LFS (He was all excited and wouldn't listen to me about how it would seed my tank... of course it didn't work, just introduced some stuff) Luckily nothing introduced was harmful to my fish. But, after next month, I'm doing a complete re-do of my tank, new substrate, new plants, new decorations, new filter baffles! and switching out all old water. Only thing staying is the tank, hood, and filter. And if they seem good enough still by then, the plants.
So I might retry this planted tank thing with anubias and stuff later on in time after I redo the tank. I don't know... its just this anarchis has gotten me really frustrated... hint the need of this thread. Maybe with non shedding plants I could have a clean tank. Yes, just as I knew you would, you've convinced me again. Except this time I'm going simpler.
EIT: I just... inspired myself. I am planning to line the back of the tank with pieces of tank when I redo it (I have a piece in now and it looks NICE.) Well I moved my piece of slate to the back to see what it looked live. Decided I don't like the look of where the java fern was and tried to put it in the substrate without burying the rhibozone (or something like that) and it looked so boring compared with the swords. Then I managed to stick a plant weight to the top of the slate and put a few java fern roots on it. The fern looks super full like this!!! Instead of facing up towards the surface, it's facing towrads the side, where people will look. And it makes a great resting spot for a Betta! I should have thought of that sooner, it is AWESOME! I'll get a whole bunch of java ferns and do this with the rocks all along the back of the tank for sure, because in that style they look thicker than my swords.