Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #21 
baylee767

Long ago I created an entire thread that was many... many... pages long on plants before I got them. I know my lighting isn't a problem, I have CFL's with correct ratings, yes I have root tabs, and the anarchis some was ordered online, some at the lFS, and the ammonia was at .5 today (right before water change). So I know that these aren't a problem.

I'm not exactly sure what went wrong /= I've owned Anarchis before in an uncycled tank and it thrived. I guess it's just something about my tank. I think that if I continue live planted tank, it's definatly java ferns and anubias I'm sticking with this time! Plus I'm getting some more organic substrate this time, so the plants will get more nutrients.

I think any kind of grass I would get would die under the shadows of a planted tank with taller plants or even fake plants that are too tall lol. It looks so pretty the dwarf grass and all these beautiful plants, but for some reason... just IDK.

Maybe something is in the tank that I introduced when my dad put a bunch of anarchis in from LFS (He was all excited and wouldn't listen to me about how it would seed my tank... of course it didn't work, just introduced some stuff) Luckily nothing introduced was harmful to my fish. But, after next month, I'm doing a complete re-do of my tank, new substrate, new plants, new decorations, new filter baffles! and switching out all old water. Only thing staying is the tank, hood, and filter. And if they seem good enough still by then, the plants.

So I might retry this planted tank thing with anubias and stuff later on in time after I redo the tank. I don't know... its just this anarchis has gotten me really frustrated... hint the need of this thread. Maybe with non shedding plants I could have a clean tank. Yes, just as I knew you would, you've convinced me again. Except this time I'm going simpler.

EIT: I just... inspired myself. I am planning to line the back of the tank with pieces of tank when I redo it (I have a piece in now and it looks NICE.) Well I moved my piece of slate to the back to see what it looked live. Decided I don't like the look of where the java fern was and tried to put it in the substrate without burying the rhibozone (or something like that) and it looked so boring compared with the swords. Then I managed to stick a plant weight to the top of the slate and put a few java fern roots on it. The fern looks super full like this!!! Instead of facing up towards the surface, it's facing towrads the side, where people will look. And it makes a great resting spot for a Betta! I should have thought of that sooner, it is AWESOME! I'll get a whole bunch of java ferns and do this with the rocks all along the back of the tank for sure, because in that style they look thicker than my swords.

Last edited by baylee767; 02-09-2011 at 11:31 PM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #22 
Hadouken441

I have tons, TONS of low light plants I can help you out with. I even have a carpet plant. Marsilea Minuta. Look it up! Super pretty. Let me know! Ive sent a few plants here before I hope someone can vouch for me! But if your interested, i can send trimmings from my 30 gallon along with the Marsilea which includes Java Moss, Some Anubias, Dwarf Sag, Jungle Val, Rotalas, Tiger Hygro.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #23 
Pekemom

Your tank sounds so pretty, Hadouken. Can you post up a picture?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #24 
Hadouken441

Well I got 2 tanks haha. 1 is being prepared right now and the other one is kind of a grow out tank. I throw whatever left over plants in there. Ill post pics sure!

The 30 gallon really has like no maintenance.

And my 20 Long. Its a little higher tech but I love it! Its not done yet!
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #25 
baylee767

Awesome tanks! Just found out that these zebra nerite snails eat the one thing that is the most trouble to me currently... diatoms in my tap water DX Hooray for snails! Lol. I wont be adding plants until april when I get back from a trip... but my plans are AWESOME.

I'll have this substrate that's like little balls of soil. In the back I'll have large slate rocks all along, and I'll put java fern on them. I'll put one of those shelves you put in your aquarium in the center and put a carpet plant on it! That I'll raise if necessary until it is roughly 2 inches below the surface so Neon rests on it and fish have room under it. I'll also add some anubias around the tank in the substrate itself, (I think I'll only keep one sword to put in the substrate... it can get 7 inches!) and I'll have 5 pygmy cories to clean up uneaten food and to look nice, and 3 nerite snails for no algae or diatoms. Then I might add some kind of decoration. I can't wait. (=

Last edited by baylee767; 02-10-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #26 
ilovebunnies

See, maybe it was just the anarchis getting on your nerves. I just threw the stuff out too! Take that, cruddy anarchis! :P lol

Maybe it would be best for you to start out with low light, easy plants that don't have little delicate pieces that will shed and cause a mess in your tank. Sticking to java fern and anubias definitely sound like a good idea. ;)

My anubias mostly turned to mush. I had one leaf left that had a bit of rhizome attached to it. So I kept it and noticed a baby leaf sprouted from it. HOORAY! Hopefully it grows more. My java fern seems to be doing ok, has some black parts but I think it might be normal. The java moss is also ok but might green up more if I do diy CO2. But I'm afraid to do diy CO2, I don't want to deal with bottle exploding O_o.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #27 
baylee767

Bleh, don't reccomend anarchis to anyone. After this I wont. EVER.

Good luck with that anubias!

Also... what do you guys think I should do when I re-do my tank? Should I scrub everything, including my biowheel, down to ensure that I don't have any more... things... that were introduced that I didn't want to be? My tank hasn't quite cycled yet, but this would make me start from the beginning. No more big trips for awhile after this one.

Or should I keep some gravel and the biowheel wet so I can seed the tank and ensure that my tank cycles fast? The downside that's making me kind of want to scrub everything is of course introducing other things I don't want to the tank. There are white clouds of things that come up whenever I make current... not sure what that was, hopefully anarchis problem.

So, whixh should I do? Long cycle with no risk, short cycle with risk?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #28 
scootshoot

Not saying it's the source of your live plant issue but majority of problems associated with live plants is due to lighting (am sure you heard this already).
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:57 AM   #29 
ilovebunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Also... what do you guys think I should do when I re-do my tank? Should I scrub everything, including my biowheel, down to ensure that I don't have any more... things... that were introduced that I didn't want to be? My tank hasn't quite cycled yet, but this would make me start from the beginning. No more big trips for awhile after this one.

Or should I keep some gravel and the biowheel wet so I can seed the tank and ensure that my tank cycles fast? The downside that's making me kind of want to scrub everything is of course introducing other things I don't want to the tank. There are white clouds of things that come up whenever I make current... not sure what that was, hopefully anarchis problem.

So, whixh should I do? Long cycle with no risk, short cycle with risk?
I don't know what you mean when you say you introduced something to the tank. If you have already started cycling, I don't think you want to replace or scrub the biowheel. Are you taking apart the tank for now or are you letting it run until you get something new? White clouds might be bacteria bloom from the cycling. If that's the case then just change 50% of the water in your tank. To be honest, I think it might be a good idea to ask Oldfishlady about what you should do. I know she is very knowledgeable about everything, plants and cycling included ;)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #30 
wallywestisthebest333

well she commented earlier saying there was white stringy stuff and snail shells attached to the LFS anacharis.

Yeah I'd scrub everything down really well. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote