Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #31 
HayrideHaunter

i dont really know much about how marimos would help cycling? i just think theyre adorable heh...sorry if im spamming your thread >.<
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #32 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

VTAb182,

"would I be able to just take out the filter entirely so it's not in the way if I'm not going to be using it?"

That's what I've done. My 1 gallon (QT) tank had an undergravel filter in it. Since I knew I was looking at frequent water changes, I thought it would be easier (IMHO) to leave it out. I was also planning to put a heater in it, and with the filter in too it would have been pretty crowded...

Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #33 
wallywestisthebest333

Sorry I've been bouncing around from active to inactive on this forum today! XD

In all truth if you're not going to use a filter I wouldn't buy a tank kit with one.

For light all you really need (especially for something as small as a 2.5 gallon) is a desk lamp. =]

The bulbs that you purchase for your lamp will definitely determine your success with planted tanks.

You'll want a Daylight (rated at 6,500 K(kelvins)) CFL (swirly energy-saving bulbs).

Here's an example of the packaging for one of more of these bulbs:
<-- The word Daylight and the Kelvin rating should be clearly visible somewhere on the package.

You only want about 2-3 watts per gallon. As this is difficult with 2.5 gallons I'd say just keep your lamp elevated above your tank. =] The smallets wattage I found was a 13 watt.

You'll also want to pick up an outlet timer from the hardware store so that you can time your light to be on for 4 hours, off for 4-5 hours and then back on for another 4-5 hours

Did I not include a plant list earlier? It might've been a different thread. XD
Whoops!

Marimo won't help you to "plant cycle" your tank no. It DOES look really cool though! ;]

Plants that help you to "Plant Cycle" your tank are fast growing stem plants.

Examples of some great fast-growing stem plants:

Anacharis
Water Sprite
Water Wisteria
Bacopas
Creeping Jenny
Hornwort

You'll likely only need one or two though. ;] As your tank is so small. and you'll likely only need a small amount.

To balance out all the different light greens I advise buying some Java Fern and an Anubias to add some dark green. The marimo would do that as well.

In my experience it's nearly impossibly to kill watersprite and anacharis. =] I've even almost frozen it and it's ok! =]

Really hardy plants (well... hornwort can be tricky but that's just hornwort).

Good luck with your tank! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #34 
VTAb182

And another question for plants: Right now my tank has smooth glass rocks (not sure if it's actually glass, but it looks like it) at the bottom. Will those be a suitable substrate for growing plants, or will I need to change to a smaller gravel?
VTAb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #35 
wallywestisthebest333

Fast growing stem plants in most cases don't require substrate. The ones that I posted don't require substrate. =]

They get their nutrients (ammonia, and such) from the water column to grow. =] They will form roots and you can anchor them if you choose to do so but you could also just toss them in the tank if you wanted. (I don't advise that though as your betta may get tangled or stuck.) So yeah I'd put the bottoms of the stems under your marble things. =]

The java fern and anubias are typically tied to a decoration because if their roots (java fern) and rhizomes (anubias) aren't exposed to the water column (they also get their nutrients from the water column) then they rot and die.

That's something to keep in mind for the java fer and anubias. =]

If you wanted a sword plant or something you'd need substrate or root tabs but 2.5 gallons are typically way too shallow to keep sword plants.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #36 
VTAb182

I'll pick up a couple plants next time I make it out to the pet shop. As for the light bulb, is that something that would be at a pet store, or should I go to Home Depot/Lowe's for that?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #37 
wallywestisthebest333

As you can see by the picture it's a lightbulb that is readily available at some superstores and just about every hardware stoer. =]

I got mine at Lowe's. =] You could get them at any hardware store though! =] And MAKE SURE that you pick up that outlet timer! Otherwise your plants wont grow as well!

They need that 4 hour nap to rebuild CO2 naturally in the tank. =]
Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #38 
VTAb182

Question about the outlet timer:
Is there a way to set it up so the lamp will be on for 4 hrs, off for 4-5, then on for another 4-5, but still be able to use it as a desk lamp not in the time frame it is on.

The way I see it I would have to have the lamp in the on position all the time for the outlet timer to be able to serve it's purpose. But if, say it's later at night after the 2nd light period of the day, how could i use the lamp without unplugging it from the timer?
Old 02-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #39 
VTAb182

So I got the heater and tank set up so far. I went for a plain 2.5 gallon tank and it's a 25W adjustable heater. The tank came with a glass lid so I wondered if putting that on and leaving it open a tad would serve the same purpose as plastic wrap with holes in it?

I went looking for plants but didn't find the ones listed. There were plenty of empty spots on the shelf so I'll check back in the next few days.

I went to lowe's and found a 9W daylight bulb. I bought it but it doesn't work so I'll be exchanging that. They also have 13W there so I wanted to ask about that: how close would the lamp have to be with a 9W bulb? Because if it has to be directly above the tank and close to it it wouldn't be very useful as a lamp. But if I got the 13W and put it away a bit more it could serve both purposes. Some help on this one would be great
Old 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #40 
VTAb182

Sorry to post again, but I thought of another question: How should I position my heater? The tank is too short to put it vertically, so right now the bottom is on the tank's floor and the top is about 3 inches from the floor. I can't have it flat against the wall as is because of the wire position. Seafood likes to chill behind the heater in between it and the wall but i don't know if that a good idea. Do you recommend getting suction cups to put it diagonally on the wall of the tank?